What's new
What's new

DIY hydraulic case forming die???

Mram10

Cast Iron
Was going to play around and build a hydraulic case forming die and wondered if anyone had experience doing this. Doesn’t look hard, but I’m not paying $200 for a setup I can make in a couple hours. Thanks

Was going to play around and build a hydraulic case forming die and wondered if anyone had experience doing this. Doesn’t look hard, but I’m not paying $200 for a setup I can make in a couple hours. Thanks

Copy the hornady set up not the whidden one. Just my experience

Show picture of your progress, should be a cool project. I always like seeing your projects, you do a very good job of explaining them.

What exactly do you mean?.....a hydraulically assisted "O" press sort of thing,using say RCBS or Lee loading dies,.....or a high capacity device for turning a brass flat into a case in several stages.? A brass drawing device?

What exactly do you mean?.....a hydraulically assisted "O" press sort of thing,using say RCBS or Lee loading dies,.....or a high capacity device for turning a brass flat into a case in several stages.? A brass drawing device?

Not sure exactly. Primarily a die that will help turn 308 into 7-08ai by feeding a round into my rock chucker and using hydraulic pressure to form the ai portion of the round. Basic is good. Other projects have taken my attention lately, so this one is on hold

How about a complete stand alone hydraulic former.
Something like the chamber cut to same as your barrel then you insert brass , have a breach lock device of some sort then have hydraulic pressure for the case to your chamber specs?
If not I cant see why you just domt run some 308 through 7mm08 and fire form.
Or can you get the shoulder angle needed from sizing 308 straight to 7mm08AI
Many years ago i would watch some of the guys down the range into all the odd stuff fireforming cases. Often they shot at golf balls for fun while forming.

Trying to find an alternative to fireforming since I don’t always have time to run to the range. Nice to go into the shop at midnight when you can sleep and knock out some cases.

AI cases don't form reliably because of the steep shoulder angle. But it might be worth the trouble to contact RCBS and see if they have forming dies. If they did, it would at least imply that it was possible.

Back