What's new
What's new

DIY Magnaporting

tenmetre

Plastic
I am considering "Magnaporting" one of my pistols.
Now, before anyone suggests I "just send it off" that is quite simply not possible. Either I do the work on my guns or it doesn't happen.

The gun in question is a Ruger Super Redhawk in .357 magnum, all stainless with a barrel length of 10.5", 12.25" from the rear face of the cylinder.
I was thinking four "holes" at 35 degrees from the vertical and 5 degrees rearward on either side at the muzzle. I know that Magnaport use EDM to cut the barrels, I don't have access to an EDM setup.

I thought I might fill the end of the barrel with woods metal in order to reduce any issues with any burrs that may be formed.

I would welcome your comments or suggestions before I set out.

I have an copper tungsten electrode that I made up years ago to "magnaport" barrels and have it actually look like Magnaport. Yours for $10 if you want it before I list it elsewhere

You can fill the bore if you like, but unnecessary. Any burrs are not going to survive the first shot.

RWO

I wouldn't worry about it. I drill gas ports for Semi Auto Target rifle barrels all the time. Simply spot drill, then drill about .003-.005" undersize, then ream to finished dimensions. Leaves a minimal burr if any at all. As was stated before the first couple shots will remove the burr, If you use copper jacketed rounds, If your using lead IDK if they will remove the burr. Could probably polish them out with an old bore brush wrapped with a patch and some lapping compound.

I have an copper tungsten electrode that I made up years ago to "magnaport" barrels and have it actually look like Magnaport. Yours for $10 if you want it before I list it elsewhere

This is very kind of you but sadly I do not have a machine to go with it.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I am going to just go with the spot drilling to start then drill and I will take some pics as I go along for everyone. Pretty thick barrel on these (quarter inch or so barrel wall) so plenty of coolant and I have some carbide drills.

This tickles some memories.

Although not really pertinent to the question at hand, years ago (about 50+) I read an article in Popular Science magazine on how to build your own home EDM machine. The few bits that remain in my head are that it used a transformer, 120 AC house current and a couple of light bulbs somewhere in the circuit.

These were the times when information such as how to motorize your children's merry go round using a Briggs and Stratton engine driving a friction tire and how to do hot dip galvanizing on the kitchen stove was published for the masses. These two were actually in the Popular Mechanics magazine and well worth the read for sure.

Should you find a collection of these old (40's through the early 70's) periodicals at a yard sale or the like I would highly encourage grabbing them. Reading will be entertaining as well as a glimpse into a different time.

Thank you,
Mr.Smith

Back