What's new
What's new

Double Barrel Shotgun

Mike H

Aluminum
Does anyone else on this forum build double
barrel blackpowder shotguns for fun and your
own use only. I am building my third one now.
My second one blew up when i test fired the barrels(whole nother story). I am just curious to see if anyone else is doing this.
Thanks, Mike

hello Mike.

i build muzzle loaders. done a couple of shotguns but like heavy barrel target stuff a little better. work on what comes by. right now i have 2 guns to 'restore' that were certifiably used to guard Camp Ford down the road during the Civil War. guns in pretty bad shape form being 'fixed' in the past. one stock rotten. usual.

i build guns for myself, but once in a while do one for someone else if they want to pay my price. it ain't like a business. i od it because i like to.

do you know the Dixie Gun Works? get their catalog. among a lot of other cool stuff, they have instructions for proofing barrwls which are good to know. never had one blow up on me yet. hope never. been around enough shrapnel and got more than enough in me.

so if you wish to correspond, my email is [email protected]. kind of save the bandwidth here that way. sometimes it takes a day or two for me to answer my email but i try to keepay up with it. sometimes too much for me.

good luck. be careful.
haappy weekend
bill

I imagine that you've seen "Recreating the Double Barrel Muzzleloading Shotgun". Have done a wide variety of gunsmithing/making over the years, but never a double. I have a set of barrels which I've converted to muzzleloading, as a starting project. Plan on using L&R locks. For a really serious project I've been sitting on another pair - an absolutely beautiful barrel set from a Charles Lancaster double oval bored rifled gun. 12 ga chambers, with 14 ga bores. Would make a spectacular flintlock deer gun. I've given up hope of ever reuniting these with the gun; I assume that they were from a multibarrel cased set. The condition is great. Dick

Yes i have that book. Watch out for old damascus barrels i had a set that looked real good blow up on me when i proof fired
them. I am not going to use any more of them
contrary to what i read about them being safe. L+R locks are good locks about all i use anymore.
Mike

Back