What's new
What's new

Easiest way to convert r LA rem 700 mag to SA

72bwhite

Titanium
Ok I have a 700 LA was 3006 barrel was trashed
Whole rifle was less than buying a bare receiver.
Obviously the stock will still have to be a LA.

So anyway want to go with 308 or 243 win.
That’s going to need a shorter magazine.
I was thinking of using something like the Magpul or PTG detachable mag and bottom metal
either modifying the SA mag to fit the LA bottom metal
Or modify the LA bottom metal too take a SA mag.
Any one done this any thoughts on any one doe this ?

It might feed just fine as a LA. 6.5x55 typically uses a LA.

Small data point, but a SA is too short for a 260 IMO. Anything over a 120gr bullet has to be seated too deep for my taste.

No clue about a 243, probably not an issue, but a 308 starts running out of room in the mag as well once you start going past 168's and 175's. 175 Hybrids have to be single loaded unless you want to stuff them way down in the case. That's as heavy as I've gone.

All the above involves HPBT's. Sierra Matchking and Hornady/Nosler equivalents. None of my 308's with AICS mag's have had a 'hunting' bullet through them, so I don't know how that helps with OAL and seating depth.

There are AICS compatible mag's that have a bit more room. Don't remember the brand.

I built my .260 on a LA so I can seat the bullets out where they need to be. On a 308/243 you will see the advantage of using the long action and the ability to use the long action magazines without losing internal case space due to the bullets seated to fit a short action magazine. My 260 feeds just fine from the magazines.

I've worked on a 700 LA that was re-chambered in .308. It fed from the magazine just fine.

Back