What's new
What's new

Endmill to cut Barrel Channel

Half an octogon is an end mill of the right diameter with a flat cutting end and 45 degree chamfers outside that

The trouble with such cutter is that it can only do STRIAGHT barrels

It will be incapable of accommodating TAPERED barrels

My plans are to take a straight barrel channel then determine the angle of barrel taper. Then set the forearm to cut 1/2 of the angle per side then I would have the barrel channel to match the barrel. This would require two setups one for each side of barrel channel. I have had to do similar operations during my 46 years as a machinist. Now does anyone know where I can get a 5/8" or 3/4" end mill with 45 degree ground on the end?
Jesse

They are a standard type of end mill. They are called "drill mills". Here is an example: MSCDirect.com
illing/End-Mills/Drill-Mills?navid=12106253#navid=12106253+4288204778+4287499565+4288151487

RWO

They are a standard type of end mill. They are called "drill mills". Here is an example: MSCDirect.com
illing/End-Mills/Drill-Mills?navid=12106253#navid=12106253+4288204778+4287499565+4288151487

RWO

Thanks RWO I had forgotten about drill mills. All I'll have to do is get a drill mill and grind the point to a flat to make sure I don't cut into magazine channel.
Thanks Jesse168

My plans are to take a straight barrel channel then determine the angle of barrel taper. Then set the forearm to cut 1/2 of the angle per side then I would have the barrel channel to match the barrel. This would require two setups one for each side of barrel channel. I have had to do similar operations during my 46 years as a machinist. Now does anyone know where I can get a 5/8" or 3/4" end mill with 45 degree ground on the end?

Don't forget that the bottom flat should be moving up. You will need to shim that angle also. And the angled sides will be getting narrower at the same time. I think you will have to size the cutter for the smallest point and make adjustments if it won't do the largest ones.

Carbide for a stock? We’ve used router bits successfully. If we wanted something custom, we made one from steel. Very easy

Guess I would try a local tool cutter grind shop. Likely/perhaps they have an end mill stub to make just what you want. That is an easy cutter to make on most ant TC grinder.

A little tougher but doable would be an octagon file/rasp so after the mill cut is close and center, the last finish/taper could be done by hand..

No I don't want the job...but this summer I may make a few jut to see if there is a market for such.

Agree the Drill Mills Jesse suggested look promising.

Interesting by hand fitting
Notes on Inletting the Barrel

Back