What's new
What's new

engraving barrels

stevep

Plastic
Anybody using etch o matic system teel me if it etches deep enough to show after applying a product like gun kote or teflon. Trying to make my projects more professional on a budget.

Thanks Steve

I've used it, and I don't think it goes into the metal at all. Looks like Parkerizing, not like it's engraved.

I started a thread back a couple of weeks ago for the same reason. I need to be able to put information on the barrel and be able to see it after applying Norrell's moly-resin. I think I'm probably going to end up with a CNC engraver.

Steve

We do etching here in the shop (colt SAA Etch pannels), look for an industrial machine not the hobby type. Not sure how deep you need to get but I can etch about as deep as a roll marking. Look for a machine that has both AC and DC.

Marking Methods in CA can make the stencils at areasonable cost.

Mike
www.Hunterrestorations.com

Heck etch-o-matic claims it can go .003" deep ??

Bill

I don't doubt that the treatment goes .003" deep. I used fine sandpaper on my test piece and is was very durable. I just don't think that the etching forms a depression that can be seen if the barrel was coated. It looks to be perfectly smooth with the surface.

This test-piece was not done with a commercial unit however. It was done with the etch-0-matic.

I have had KG apply their products over markings made with the Marking Methods folks with great results. Thier "deep etch" DC process yields a full .010"

etcho-matic

The etcho-matic should burn .002-.003 deep without much trouble . There is a small attachment for the ground wire you use to get the depth , then remove it and burn it again to get the darkness . Its the difference between ac and dc but I can't remember which is which . I use it to put my logo on knives I make , I've been happy with the results. But you have to use the little transistor or whatever it is to get it burn to any depth. Jim

In order for the Etch O Matic to work properly, you need to have clean metal with no coatings on it. It needs clean metal for the current to pass through the mineralized water and etch the metal. If you have a Gun Cote on it, it would prevent the deep etching.
I use an Etch O Matic and it can easily engrave .003 with time.

engraving

I have the etchomatic but it really did not do what I needed it to do. I bought a manual pantograph type machine to do selector and SBR markings on AK type rifles.I also bought the Colt font set to redo all of the markings on Colt revolvers such as barrels and patent marks. It works great and did not cost several thousand dollars. thnx [email protected]

Why don't you just send the barrel to me and I'll hand engrave the dang thing and you'll be done with it. It won't take 30 minutes to do I bet and would be a darn sight cheaper than buying a machine.

Hand engraving the way God intended it is always the way to go. Gives us gun engravers something to do and keeps us out of the taverns...

OK...
How much? Turn around time? (roughly)

Say, 10 letters/numbers..

I've asked this same question of 4-5 engravers a few years ago. I got one snide remark, one quote of $500, and silence from the rest. I'm quite willing to admit I may have been asking the wrong engravers...

Paul F.

I sent you a PM on this with details. $500 is awfully high unless you were wanting the preamble to the Constitution on it.

Turn around time would be less than a week and maybe less than 2 days depending on when it got here.

Back