What's new
What's new

Extractor cut

NRDock

Cast Iron
This is how I've been cutting extractor slots, and it works, so I've stuck with it. Today, I had to cut two for a set of double rifle barrels I'm assembling. There has to be a better way. Extractor cut.jpg

In addition to the lathe, I have a vertical mill, and I'd like to hang the barrel vertically off the side of the table to cut it, but haven't worked out a good way to hold the barrel yet. Cutting off the table with my Fray would not be a problem.

I feel like there has to be a better way, but I've been too busy with real work to focus on this. Please offer suggestions for a better way than kludging my lathe to act as a horizontal mill.

Attachments

• Extractor cut.jpg
    Extractor cut.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 274
Why not hold it horizontally in the mill vise on your vertical mill and use a keyway cutter of the appropriate size?
d58fb237eea654d0cf17809f235a0bfc.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Your barrel vise or a aluminum version, with interchangeable bushings hanging off the side of the vertical mill.
Or mounted to an angle plate.
Or a barrel wrench mounted in the vise.

I am not a fan of keyway cutters, they seem to have a awful short life.

If you have a Bridgeport or clone, rotate the turret (which holds the ram) such that the spindle is not over the knee. That way you can hang the barrel vertically from the side of the table. You will need to make some tooling to hold the barrel but it is pretty straightforward. You will need a cylindrical section near the chamber end to hold the barrel so if you are doing some other shape for the finished product, do the milling before losing the cylinder.

I just had a look, and I think I can probably bolt a barrel clamp to the small T-nuts for the table stop on the front side of the table.
The key way cutter has merit too. Actually, this is the easiest solution, and I think I'll try that first.

Thanks guys. It can be hard to let go of something that works even when there has to be a better way. I just needed someone to splain it to me.

Back