What's new
What's new

Failure to Eject

Gunslinger1

Plastic
Hello all, I have a question about an H&R Ultra chambered in .223. what is the process to properly diagnose a failure to eject? What test can you do to check to make sure that it is a failure to eject? And what test can you do to give you different results?

I have my sons 45/70 barrel here and I just played with the ejector. It is completely contained with on the welded on pivot lug. On this one I can press it in by hand and using a hard piece of plastic trip the ejection by pressing on the rear part of the the trip mechanism. The extractor then kicks out smartly. If that lug is full of dried oil I guess it could be cleaned out with solvent and compressed air. There are at least 2 healthy springs in there might be hard to reassemble if it is necessary to take it apart. If the ejector mechanism is working properly then something about the chamber is the next suspect. Dirt or physical damage?

OK, I did one last experiment. After pushing the ejector in, I can pull down on the 2 ends of the forward roll pin and make it trip and eject.

I made a mistake, my son's rifle is a NEF. I think there is some history between H&R and NEF. If so there may be shared designs or copying between the companies, I will leave the earlier post as something in it may be helpful.

Back