What's new
What's new

Falling Block Rifle

Tim Smyth

Aluminum
Would anyone care to comment on the design of Walter B. Mueller's rifle.Specifically the angle of the breechblock slot. Why if the angle of commercial designs vary from 9 degrees on one end of the scale to 6 degrees on the other does he specify 7 degrees 2 minutes for his rifle? Its the 2 minutes that bothers me thats the thickness of a scribe line. I will have enough of a problem holding a true 7 degrees. Also any real thoughts on the making or not making of this rifle will be appreciated.-------Tim Smyth

I am building de Haas's version of a falling block. He specifies 3* approximate. I would have thrown away the plans if it required working in "'s. Good luck, Mike

Thanks for the reply Mike.I would like to look at the De Haas design. The Mueller rifle seem very complex to me, might be necessary. I havent made chips yet and would switch in a second for a simpler design. I am really surprised at the prices quoted for chrome moly ,I thought I was buying steel not gold. Thanks again for the feedback. Where can I get a cpoy of the De Haas rifle plans?----Tim Smyth

I don't have the book handy but is that the one with the automatic safety? I seem to recall the odd angle on that one. I was going to use the plans as a starting point and change them to suit me. As long as you have correct headspace and adaquate material for the round used you can modify an awful lot on a single shot.

Tim, Sorry it took so long to get back to you. It has been a busy weekend. Here is the info on the book.
"Mr. Single Shot's Book of Rifle Plans"
By Frank and Mark de Haas, published by de Haas Books, Rt. 3 Box 77, Ridgeway, MO 64481.
This book is commonly available. I picked up my copy last year at a local bookstore.

Kent, thats the one,its so complicated I have been trying to figure it out for months.The safety is one of the real hard ones in the drawings to sort out.If the drawings were more complete it might be easier to sort out.An autamatic safety would be nice,but Im hoping De Haas has a simpler design. His book is in the mail tomorrow,Im sure there is a simpler design.I have bought a couple of blocks of machinable wax to work with before I waste any 4140 steel. I dont know about metal prices where you are but a piece of 1/12x3x10 inch goes for about $85 here, so I want to practice my moves. Thanks again for the input.------Tim Smyth

I have not priced steel recently since I have a pile in the shop I go to for personal projects.

What caliber are you going to build in?

I thought I might build my first single shot in 22 LR. That way I don't have the pressure worries and can learn the machining skills needed.

Mike I got Mr Singleshots book,not bad plans,but the design is a little far out for me.Im going to proceed with Muellers design the only thing wrong is his drawings are very small and it takes a lot of reading and more reading to figure it out.It appears to be a super strong design. I would like some feedback on views of machinability of ht4140, rockwell 25 to 30.It sure is hard on the band saw,but I wont have to heat treay when finished and chance warping---TS

Tim,

4140 HT machines fairly well, with a few guidelines. I've done some work with it in terms of making shop tooling because it was handy (and free to get). Use lots of cutting oil. Tools as sharp as you can make them i.e. like you were finishing aluminum. Add a little more back rake than normal for turning tools i.e. 10-12 degrees. There's some tendency to work-harden, so try not to take a cut of less than .005. If you bandsaw it, slow speed and moderately heavy feed will work. Once you've started the cut, keep it moving steadily.

Hope this is useful information. Someday, I hoep to make de Haas' #2 vault lock myself. Good luck!

Tom

May I suggest shopping around for your metal. The company I work for sent out bids for a piece of alloy steel (nitronic 50). Bids varied from $17 to $85 for the same material. Most charge a cutting fee if your only ordering one piece. Hope this helps.
Larry

[This message has been edited by AZmachinist (edited 12-14-2002).]

you might want to consider buying brake-die. this is equivalant to a 4150. it does come heat treated to approx. 30 r/c , but is easier on the pocketbook. price around,and see if anybody has any off-fall that is the size or larger than what you need. this is some pretty tough stuff and works well under impact,or pressure. if you want to go with the 4140 you could also check on possible 0ff-fall pcs. usually a better price.

Back