What's new
What's new

Feinwerkbau aw93

I have 4 mags, 2 came with the gun and purchased 2 others. 2 that came with the gun worked fine so did one of the others. The one that had issues seemed as if it was too high and I thought I would need to trim the bottom where the catch is but the one extra was all that I needed and used it only when shooting an alibi. So as not to mix them I marked the plastic with fingernail polish. To limit the muzzle heaviness I copied a friend's aluminum forend. Worked fine! When I received the gun I had lock back issues after firing last round. Some times it would but often it didn't, one mag. more that the other of the originals. If it did lock back the slide would release when mag. was removed, if it didn't it would release when putting another mag. in! Though sometimes it worked as it should. I did have trigger adjustment issues but found a way to correct that. I managed to do quite a few things to make it work for me but everything I did didn't change anything, the gun is as it was received and modifications made can be reversed and the gun returned to as was out of the box.
My issue is: I started having problem with ammo,Was using RWS ben when I purchased more I had jams. Thinking it was ammo I changed to SK. Forgetting my ammo a friend gave me a box of CCI std vel. but I noticed I was getting a few low shots I didn't call. Again thinking it was ammo. But even with SK match and match special in addition to rifle match I had jams. Until after 3 weekly practice 900s still getting those low shots the gun started to jam at the 4 week practice and using the same ammo from the same brick! At the match I used my MatchGun2. During another portion of the match I didn't want to be in I shot the AW for practice. Again I noticed the low shots and also noticed the the low shots occurred when recoil was noticeably lighter! However I could only use 1 mag. the others jammed. Following day I inspected the mags. and found the the front near the chamber was high, allowing the slide to close from the locked back position a round was chambered but if allowed to close slowly by hand it would stop when the rim of the round hit the high spot on the mag. and when removed the rim would hit the high spot and be pulled off the extractor! With a fine file I lowered the high spot and mags work! All of them!! I also removed the heavy small spring in the recoil damping assembly and low/light recoil ended.(at least for now)
My concern is why the mags that seemed to work fine started having problems being too high. I also noticed there is no play. When the mags are inserted they seat firmly without any up/down movement, none at all!! The catch on the bottom of the mag is wedge shaped so that the catch exerts constant upward pressure. I'm wondering if that catch should not be wedge shaped? I have the Russian predecessor and it is not wedge shaped, I also made a copy of the Russian also not wedge shaped, both allow the mag. to move up/down about 1/32". I hate to modify the original if anything I'll make another to try. Is you gun's catch wedge shaped? Do you have any play in up/down movement? I'm trying to determine why things are changing! Because of issues I haven't shot the gun much nor can a figure out why my mags got higher!

My mag catch is wedge shaped as well. No play in the magazines when they're latched in.

One of them got dropped in gravel, and seemed to work fine after wiping the dirt off on my pant leg. Next match I had hangups in SF. Set the bad one aside and had no more problems.

Next range session I ran 30 rds (CCI SV) thru it and it functioned perfectly. And then I had the same problem at the next match. No idea if it's the same mag or not.

It would extract partway and be hung up on the rim of the next rd which got wedged under the stuck empty. I don't remember if it locked back on the last rd. The slide felt like it was dragging on something. Like maybe the feeds lips were bent in. The other mags were fine.

I pulled them all down the other day and found minimal dirt inside them all. I noticed the follower spring has one end wound tighter than the other. I put them back together the way they came apart, 2 with the tight end down, 1 up. It seems up would be correct, if it matters at all. The 'bad' one was tight end down.

None of them created any drag on the slide before or after cleaning. The front of the follower was a little higher on one of them, put pulling the button down and letting it snap up made them all look the same.

Re the aluminum weight. You didn't happen to make 2 while you were at it, did you? I've made a preliminary CAD file, but haven't yet pulled the plungers out to get good dimensions off of them. It looks as though the only difference between the steel and Al piece is the holes for attaching a weight. Did you notice anything else?

Was about 3 years ago I got the gun and made the Aluminum forearm. Quite honestly I can't remember much about the Aluminum forearm I borrowed. Actually what I did was copy the steel forearm, I can't remember why nor why I didn't copy the aluminum one. If my memory is correct I copied the interior and shaped the outside to limit the weight as much as possible. The plunger hole is not hard to do, I did it on a Jig borer. I was looking at the assembly drawings on the Feinwerkbau site, there drawing must not be correct. That plunger component kinda like a pin with a washer attached is shown backwards I though mine might be assembled wrong but looking at it I don't think it will assemble the way they show nor will it work if it was.
What I can't understand is why it worked well for quite a while, since I purchased a case of SK ammo I used it along with a few bricks of the other SK ammo I purchased at Perry. Since I filed the mag lips it's functioning fine buy I'm wondering why it changed.
As far as trigger adjustment I determined what I think was an omitted cover plate over the sear. I made on and now the trigger can easily be adjusted the way I like it. First chance I get I'll make another mag catch. I can play with it and do any modification but still have the original that came with the gun.

"It would extract partway and be hung up on the rim of the next rd which got wedged under the stuck empty. I don't remember if it locked back on the last rd. The slide felt like it was dragging on something. Like maybe the feeds lips were bent in. The other mags were fine." Exactly my problem! Eventually 2 mags were doing the same thing using the same SK ammo from the same brick, I tried bending the forward lips but that didn't work, round would not come up out of the mag. As I mentioned with a very fine file I lowered the lips so that when the brass came out of the chamber it didn't hit the lips, no more jams on any of the 4 mags! I didn't remove much, only a few thousandths but as I mentioned why did it happen!

Back