What's new
What's new

fiber optics

Joe Miranda

Titanium
I would like to add fiber optics to my 9mm. I have read that some guys are using green for the rear and red for the front. Have any of you tried different combinations and if so what are your thoughts? Just trying to save myself some time if others have already tried this.

Black rear, fiber front. You want visual contrast against the target and you want to draw your eye to the front sight.

If this is a pistol, you want a small light pipe so you can still make out the edges of the front sight for precision shots. Dawson Precision makes the nicest handgun sights in the business.

--
Pat Jones
Firestone CO

Black rear, fiber front. You want visual contrast against the target and you want to draw your eye to the front sight.

If this is a pistol, you want a small light pipe so you can still make out the edges of the front sight for precision shots. Dawson Precision makes the nicest handgun sights in the business.

--
Pat Jones
Firestone CO

Thanks for your thoughts. That is an interesting perspective.

I want the fiber optics on the rear as well - I need the help for my tired old eyes. I cannot pick up the sights in low light situations.

I've always preferred green for the front, perhaps partly because some of the targets I use have a red Critical Hit zone. Perhaps yellow for the rear, although not commonly found. The key to good fiber optics is maximum length exposed to light. On a range under an "eyebrow" many sights don't light up well. The better archery sights actually use a spool of fiber to get maximum illumination in typical hunting situations.

I also agree you should be able to see the sight outlines in dimmer light so the fibers need to be small enough.

Check out Truglow TFX Pro. Hard to beat the combination of fiber optic and tritium. Pro uses an orange ring around the front sight vial to make it easy to lock onto visually. I have a couple sets of these in use.

Check out Truglow TFX Pro. Hard to beat the combination of fiber optic and tritium. Pro uses an orange ring around the front sight vial to make it easy to lock onto visually. I have a couple sets of these in use.

I like the looks of that a lot! Seems perfect for quicker target acquisition. Honestly, I can almost never see both sets of sights at the same time. I never even realized it until recently, that I was lining them up more by muscle memory than actually seeing the sights. Then I was in a low light situation and I realized that I could not see the rear sights at all.

Sounds to me like Tritium is the way to go for you. I just got a P365 with Sig X-Ray 3 sights... They're awesome.

I added FO to the oem sights on my Walther P1. As far as I could find, nobody makes them so I did it myself. I went with red on the front and yellow for the rear. You can get the fibers in various sizes and colors on Amazon.

I’ve been pretty happy with this color combo.

Back