Firing pin steel - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Back in the ‘70s I worked in a die shop that used a lot of HSS drill blanks as pierce punches. I had a semi auto .22 rimfire made in Italy. The firing pin broke so I made one out of a drill blank. It broke in a matter of minutes. I diagnosed the break area, modified the design a little and made another. It broke really fast as well.

I took a welding electrode, stripped the flux off it and made another firing pin. I used Kasenite on the tips. It worked great and is still in there.

Kasenite is no longer available but “Cherry Red” surface hardening compound works great.

2. Likes JHOLLAND1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My dad came across a copy of a Colt 1903 in Korea during the war that had a broken firing pin . He went to the motor pool & found the right sized drill bit & made a firing pin . the pistol still shoots today , though not very well.
    animal

4. Likes JHOLLAND1 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great post. I will need to make firing pins for my LC Smith project eventually. LC internals were made with Chrome Vanadium steel when that became available. I have made all new internals from pre hard 4140, which rates a bit tougher and harder. I had thought to get the pins out of automobile leaf spring scraps, of which I have several. Here in the USA, we will be alright if the Dems tread lightly around the 2nd amendment. They have a very large and unbelievably PO'ed percentage of the population to contend with, now that we are returning to mindless, ineffective politics as usual.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use S7. Never had to redo a pin made from S7 when quenched and tempered properly.

7. Likes ronan liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For an early french (may have been Italian?) hand made double barrel I made the firing pins from a name brand Allen wrench. They had to be hand made because most everything about the gun wasn't at the same angle but off a tad.

I did not wish to guess at material or heat treat. With having much experience using Allen wrenches for homemade easy-outs and other shop things I trusted that better than what I could fudge up.

OT:
    My wife won a Holland and Holland double-barrel shotgun ...She traded it for a nice mink coat.

likely it was worth over 20k at that time.