What's new
What's new

First project ideas, any suggestions?

Ross E

Plastic
Hey guys, I'm trying to decide on what I want to do as a first project so I can go ahead and start looking for the tooling I will need.

Anyone have any good ideas that they have had fun with?

I am thinking about a few, like a 1911 build from the partial frames/slides. There are other partials out there, all the way up to 80%..... but I think I want a little more work to do.

Ross

The first thing you should do is buy some books on how a 1911 works if you want to do that as your first project. buy an old junker and slowly up grade the sights ,trigger and then the barrel.AGI has some good videos also.

The first thing you should do is buy some books on how a 1911 works if you want to do that as your first project. buy an old junker and slowly up grade the sights ,trigger and then the barrel.AGI has some good videos also.

1911 is something I do have experience with. Trigger, hammer, springs, barrel, beaver tail, MSH, pin and so on are all things I have no problem with.

Well, actually I have never actually changed a grip safety because I never bought a drop in part.

Any good suggestions on books about machining firearms?

I am looking at "The Machinist - Gunsmith", it's by Steve Acker, I have seen it on the net and they say it's a good book. I'll probably check the library today.

library does your local library still have books with knowledge in them?
not just comic books?

well the 1911 looks simple have you looked at national ordnace for the castings
I think you would be happier with a ak because of less tool's and sloppyer tolrence

I am actually looking for something that requires more tools.... and hopefully quite a few universal tools.

My local library does not have much in the way of machining/metal working..... I'm planning on checking the University library next time I ma near but I won't be checking anything out even though I am a registered student. I would prefer buying books anyway.

There are a number of forums that deal with build ups of 1911, AR15 etc from the completed and 80% frame and up. It's doable from the 80% frame for someone with the equipment and experience, but not always the least expensive option. Do you have a friend or acquaintance with experience in gunsmithing that could help you out a bit?

JK

the Acker book is a good book but is geared towards people with milling equipment and is a collection of smaller projects. i like mine but have access to practically unlimited equipment. if you want to be talked into getting a mill and lathe definately get the book, it will be the straw that breaks the proverbial camels back.

what about an AK? ive built a dozen or so and while it is easier with the right tools, as everything is, it could be done fairly cheaply picking up a tool here and there.

Unfortunately I don't have anyone with a shop or anyone that has experience. I am kind of on an island, none of my friends quite understand what exactly I am trying to do.

Thanks for the advice on the book though, I think I might look at some other books.

The main reason why I was leaning away from an AK build and towards pistol is because I want to gain more experience in the actual machining side of it. How much machining is actually needed to build an AK? I am an AK enthusiast, and I can pretty much do anything I want with it without the milling machine when it comes to parts.

Something I WOULD like to do is build a milled krinkov if I can find an affordable parts set.

Also I don't have any access to a press, so that is something I would have to get done.

I use a OTC push puller

Handpress to do all versions of AK's for finer control when lining up barrel pin hole...

Would be easy to make a home shop style one. Hardened Nut and fine pitch pressure screw are the only special things....

Start with a Stamped AK build and work your way up....

Looks like this 17.5 ton with 1 inch screw...Model 938 :
http://www.shop.com/+-a-otc+press+puller-p49221076-k36-st.shtml

Use a bearing seperator (larger one to fit your model 938top half above)...:
http://indoors.pricegrabber.com/mechanics-tools-tool-sets/m/22598817/search=otc+1130

Make longer rods to tie top and seperator together (for barrel press) barrel pin press rods only need to be about 8 inch long. I can get all numbers later if you are interested....

It all unbolts and fits in a drawer unlike the big hydraulic ones...

Ross - Definitely visit the homegunsmith web site. The guy that runs it is Frank Roderus and lives in Tampa. Goes by PvtRyan on the site. Great guy so if you can get to know him he will probably let you visit his shop. He has already done what you want to do.

Steve.

If you are thinking about building an AK 47, go here.

http://www.gunco.net

This is the premiere AK building site and you can find absolutely anything you will ever need to know. How to build your own jigs for practically nothing, up to high dollar, professional stuff, plus a lot of unusual variations, such as pistols etc.

I have built a lot of AKs.

Back