What's new
What's new

Fixture for both short barrels, and Action Truing

HomerOz

Plastic
G'Day Fella's,

Over the years, I have been confronted with the issue, of not being able to crown or thread, the muzzles of short barrels.
I generally always thread barrels, etc, through the head stock of my Hare & Forbes, AL-1000D lathe.
Some time back, I purchased a new camlock chuck back plate, to suit this lathe, and then, machined up, and bolted a seudo 4 Jaw chuck, to it.
This allows me to now work on barrels, shorter than 450mm/18" without any issues.
Whilst I haven't done one yet, the additional bolt on fixture, also gives me the ability to true most rifles actions (threads, face and lug abutments0.

Any way, this morfed into an action truing fixture.
A picture they say, is worth a thousand words ...............
DSCN3327 (1).jpg

DSCN3333 (1).jpg

DSCN3332 (1).jpg

DSCN3336.jpg

DSCN3337.jpg

Let me see if I understand:
#1 back plate
#2 back cat head installed with short action cat head on back cat head
#3 short action cat head installed
The 2 independent catheads allow getting the action bore aligned.
#4 & #5 long action cat head installed over back cat head
2nd post
#1 disassembled to show new mounting holes (long action)
#2 assembled long action

Did I get it right, do I get a jelly bean?

Kind of like having a cat head on the front and back of a spindle for barrels.
Interesting solution to working on both long and short actions with one fixture, not being a welder I would do things a little different.

Basically yes Fred C.

With one Cat head in place on the backing plate, it's used for short barrel work.

The two Cat Heads, were initially designed to bolt together (for action truing) but then I assumed it would be better (for action truing), if these two Cat Heads were further apart, so hence the present set up.

Yes, if I had more of the appropriate size material available, I would have done this job differently as well. But it is an "After The Event", variation on the original theme.

Hope that clears any confusion up.

Regards
Homer

Back