What's new
What's new

Floating or rigid reamer holder?

Turner421

Plastic
Hey all, I am very new to chambering barrels. I recently bought a decent lathe, and I am in the process of buying some of the tooling needed. I will only be chambering bolt action rifle barrels. What I am needing is some opinions about reamer holders. Should I buy a floating style or rigid? Thanks for any input

It's my understanding that floating reamers will follow the bore and be more concentric whereas a solid reamer can possibly induce and offset.

FWIW

-Ron

Don’t you want to use a reamer on a through shaft that’s centered in the barrel? I think those exist.

I know of gunsmiths that use both,but not well enough to contact them and ask their opinions. I won't be using a reamer on a through shaft because that could screw up the lands. I'll be running the barrel through the headstock using an outboard spider and a 4 jaw. I'm thinking that a floating reamer holder and piloted reamer is going to be the way I go. But wanted opinions of you guys who have done it before.

If your chambering in the headstock I assume your doing this to get the first inch or so of bore straight to the reamer? If
that is true and your lathe tailstock will repeat within 1/2 thou of center of headstock then you will want to use a solid holder otherwise your wasting your time with all the setup in headstock. I personally like to set the bore from throat to +1.5" straight to lathe when done typically runout is under a tenth in the chamber and back of chamber will be at dimension if that is done with a floating reamer you will see the back of chamber grow.
good luck

I won't be using a reamer on a through shaft because that could screw up the lands.

You finish the barrel before the chamber? You want concentricity, so better adjust the shorter length by the long one. Through shaft well greased, slow reaming. Then final passes through the barrel. Later the cartridge will be there before the bullet goes out, same order. My 2 shots

I use a gimbal to take up the torque and a pusher for the feed. The gimbal takes up the torque at two points, 180 degrees from each other, canceling any side load that would tend to make the back of the chamber oversize. My two cents are taking up the torque at one point will try to lift the back of the reamer and could cause it to cut over size. With the gimbal the back of my chambers are spot on the the reamer size. Run out at the neck is less than a tenth.

I use the JGS floating type. The guy I learned a lot from has tried all types and switched to a simple wrench on the back of the reamer pushed in by a modified carriage bolt in the tailstock. They all shoot great.

You want a floating or pusher type holder/driver. The other things to study up on are how to hold the barrel, pre-bore the chamber, set up and measure before and after and more. Search this forum. There are lots of posts on chambering barrels, techniques and equipment needed.

Back