What's new
What's new

FORGED Aluminum AK-47 Receiver (No milling, chipping, done yet) Thoughts...

sw1ne

Aluminum
I've been doing a lot of drinking since this coronavirus broke out so I figured why not forge a gun this go around. I have used about 120 cans on this one {(12floz)-24 would require just 60 beers.} I have so far just poured it into a clay and sand casting box and I got a receiver with the dimensions 10.25x1.75x1.25. This one has come out very cool. Since all the pieces in the back load without much force, wouldn't the trunion be the only part that needs to really be pinned and seated the most extrapolateputskanov.jpgputskanov.jpgputskanov.jpgputskanov.jpgputskanov.jpgputskanov.jpgputskanov.jpgputskanov.jpgforge.jpgforge3.jpgforge4.jpg? If I got my hands on a receiver I'd just throw it in sand and forge it to creation at 2.5mm thick.

Last I read, the bodies of aluminum beverage cans were made from 3004 or 3104, while the tops were made from 5182 or 5052. Aluminum cans are the result of intense and prolonged production optimization, which is why the different parts are made of different alloys.

Are you intending on forging that lump of cast material? What alloy is can material anyway? Just curious. Jim
Like a recast? I have this from casting 8 times... I smelted 400 cans total. I'm gonna grind this one and add some milling work. If you wanna see how it turns out just keep an eye on me. I'm open to criticism as long as its necessary for me to grow. In the meantime assume nothing but pests are subjected to scrutiny because I'm taking it to the courthouse to get it registered. We all want the same thing here.

Steel wrought work will be done using a us solid 220 volt induction heater at 15kw wavelength I'm hoping for a 4.5 lb. Build for this bad boy.

Like a recast? I have this from casting 8 times... I smelted 400 cans total. I'm gonna grind this one and add some milling work. If you wanna see how it turns out just keep an eye on me. I'm open to criticism as long as its necessary for me to grow. In the meantime assume nothing but pests are subjected to scrutiny because I'm taking it to the courthouse to get it registered. We all want the same thing here.

It's cast currently. Are you going to forge it now, or machine it from cast? Forging will generally improve the material properties.

Great source for aluminum is the stems from rivets I don't know what grade of aluminum it is but some shops have a lot of such stems.

bt four Mississippiiyeeians aren't yal posta be drinkin moon shine?

An AK receiver is a structural component with tension stresses, unlike AR receivers with the steel barrel thread/receiver lugs insert which take those stresses.

Hopefully you plan on doing likewise, otherwise you are building a alumibomb like the Williams aluminum FAL receivers that suffered failures.

The first thing I made out of beer cans was a pinwheel, harsh as it might sound I really think you should make some of those and rethink the AK project for a while.

Back