What's new
What's new

Fun and games barrel removal

marky123

Plastic
Hello
I bought a shot out BSA CF2 with the intention of rebarrelling it.
This is the result of my weekends labour...!

barrel - YouTube

Attachments

• 1346090491802.jpg
    1346090491802.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 910
  • 1346090509278.jpg
    1346090509278.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 786
  • 1346091637088.jpg
    1346091637088.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 822
  • 1346091654976.jpg
    1346091654976.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 807
  • 1346091677633.jpg
    1346091677633.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 815
Trust me, that barrel wasn't tight.
I grit my teeth through the You tube clip, thinking that it was going to be a video of how you ended up in hospital.
Try bolting the bench down if you're going to do any more.
JB

Try bolting the bench down if you're going to do any more.
JB

Agreed on bolting down the bench. Also, just a bit of friendly advice, get your barrel as close as possible to the barrel vise and use Rosin for a better grip. The closer the barrel to the vise, the less flex from the barrel and the easier the receiver will come off.

Just my 2¢

Johnny V
NRA Life Member 1976

Hello
I couldn't make the taper in the vice bushing.The barrel taper's not straight...
MARK

Make the hole in the bushing for the large side of the taper, use a generous amount of release agent to the barrel, then fill the bushing with JB Weld for a perfect fit to the barrel. A perfect fit + some Rosin = a barrel that "will not" slip.....

It helps tremendously to have a solid footing for the vise (mine gets bolted down to my mill table).

Johnny V
NRA Life Member 1976

If the barrel is shot out, why not just grind two opposing flat spots close to the reciever and put the barrel directly in the vice?

Regards

Holy cow, that was awkward.

The cheater bar could have been put in a less efficient orientation, but not much more. Never did get the operator's weight acting on the wrench, there were 600 foot pounds or so of torque available that never came close to coming into play.

Here is my setup for removing a barrel.
IMG_0204Small.jpg

The barrel vice is firmly attached to the edge of the bench near the middle and the action wrench is oriented so that you push down to unscrew. The bushings are cast on the barrel using Devcon to make an exact fit to the barrel. After curing they are split as shown on the one setting atop the barrel vice. In use rosin powder is applied to the interior of the bushing.

The electric iron is selected to Linen and set on the action wrench. This will properly degrade thread locking compounds without damaging anything else. I usually go get a cup of coffee to kill a little time while it is reaching a uniform temperature. In extreme cases I have been known to put a cheater on the handle of the action wrench but one has to exercise some judgment when doing so.

3 things:
1 I removed the barrel
2 nobody died
3 most important,I now know how to remove a barrel,ie not like this...

I think it's good for a first attempt.I like the epoxy bushing tip,that will be useful for installing the new one
MARK

3 things:
1 I removed the barrel
2 nobody died
3 most important,I now know how to remove a barrel,ie not like this...

I think it's good for a first attempt.I like the epoxy bushing tip,that will be useful for installing the new one
MARK

LOL. I do like your style. Success is all relative.
It was entertaining and at the very least, it has started yet another interesting thread on barrel removal which always includes some handy tips for all.
I hope you aren't totally discouraged from posting your your future efforts.
JB

It's fitting that you are from England, as I could hear the Yakety Sax theme song from "Benny Hill" running through my head as I watched you climbing on the bench. Man, you got to be more careful. That could have turned out very badly.

Back