What's new
What's new

Glock iron sights dovetails

thunderskunk

Cast Iron
Hey gents,

I’m looking into milling some iron sights: a buddy said his stock of glock parts have been back ordered for months.

Is there a standard out there for glock sight mounting? The front sight isn’t as intimidating as the rear dovetail. It’s easy enough to make one and fit it to a single gun, but factoring tolerances for fit between two angled surfaces gets a bit weird; weirder so when you compensate a cut for the thickness of whatever plating or paint is applied.

I didn’t realize that. Helped point me in the right direction.

I went ahead and bought a Glock OEM set of iron sights as a pattern. Wow. That is workmanship. I’m going to have to do some research to be sure I’m not violating patents because there is a ton of details to these parts. Slight tapers all over the place, and the base must have been sinker and wire EDM cut to this dovetail. All so it flexes in the middle where it contacts the slide. Why did it cost $100? Because I’m pretty sure it was made by a tool maker.

I’m not sure the ones I’m going to make are going to have this clearance as it would be prohibitively expensive and I don’t own any EDM.

Back