What's new
What's new

Glock slide milling

D Nelson

Stainless
Here is a few pics of some glock slides I have been working on lately. Let me know what you think.
c91894186b64a91c24142ca3d01849af.jpg
23d293082d016eb34f085e829b0f33cf.jpg
43fe98a10c5982f484e972148eaee36d.jpg
af1000455433c5e9ae865487d58c1870.jpg
b03d2ce2d5c6af2e60e5441f41f53926.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

the weight of the slide is the primary factor resisting the inertial forces in a blowback (or delayed blowback) design.

significantly lightening it will mess with the cycling of the gun.

unless reduced loads, and or lighter bullets are used in a gun with a significantly reduced slide weight, it will batter the crap out of it.

in addition, the "ports" are a great way to get all kinds of crap up inside the
slide, and really compromise the reliability.

TERRIBLE idea for a duty or self defense gun.

(super ugly to me also...but thats just my taste...you did ask)

I know a fellow that's interested in all that modified gun work. He bought a milling machine from me to do it and don't know how now that it's in his shop.
Myself, I have a Glock 43 and wouldn't think of doing anything like that to it no matter how "cool" it may look. As mentioned in post #2 there is nothing functional or any other reason to do it other than to personalize a fire arm that comes from a company that has the catch phrase or trade mark "Perfection"
Dan

I kind of enjoy doing them and shoot them all I have not had any problems cycling. The only problem I’ve had is light primer strikes from a zev trigger kit it uses a lighter striker spring.

Glocks have a reputation for just working, so, if you f'''d with it, and it doesn't, isn't that a surprise.

they spend millions to do the testing to get the slide weight just right.

machine tools, guns, someone's "personal" ideas.. what could go wrong..

glad you enjoy, just DO NOT mess with any LE sidearms!

the weight of the slide is the primary factor resisting the inertial forces in a blowback (or delayed blowback) design.

significantly lightening it will mess with the cycling of the gun.

unless reduced loads, and or lighter bullets are used in a gun with a significantly reduced slide weight, it will batter the crap out of it.

in addition, the "ports" are a great way to get all kinds of crap up inside the
slide, and really compromise the reliability.

TERRIBLE idea for a duty or self defense gun.

(super ugly to me also...but thats just my taste...you did ask)

You got me thinking about the weight of the slide how can a glock 17 L fire the same 9mm as a glock 43 with a slide that weighs 1/4 of the 17l it doesn’t batter the shit out of it.

Because it is not a blowback (or delayed blowback) design.

In a short-recoil action, the slide and barrel are locked together until after the bullet has passed out of the barrel, at which point the pressure is low enough that the slide doesn't get "battered" when it opens.

Because it is not a blowback (or delayed blowback) design.

In a short-recoil action, the slide and barrel are locked together until after the bullet has passed out of the barrel, at which point the pressure is low enough that the slide doesn't get "battered" when it opens.
The slide can still suffer battering (as well as the frame lug that stops the slide) if it is significantly lightened. Slide velocity is controlled by the recoil spring, so making significant reduction in slide weight requires a stiffer recoil spring to maintain the correct slide velocity.

Depending on the design, machining out around the ejector port is a bad idea too, as it can lead to slide separation if the stop is forward of the port.

OP's pics look pretty good to me- the target rear sight probably weighs close to material removed, and the area around ejector port isn't messed with.

You got me thinking about the weight of the slide how can a glock 17 L fire the same 9mm as a glock 43 with a slide that weighs 1/4 of the 17l it doesn’t batter the shit out of it.
Might want to check the weight numbers. Pretty sure the 43 slide isn't 1/4 the weight of the 17L slide. :)
You can play around with loads, compensators, and recoil springs to adjust for changes in slide weight. If you had a hammer fired instead of striker, you could add hammer spring and geometry to the mix.
There is a market for the work you are doing, even if it's not to everyone's taste.
:)

Can't speak for every gen of glocks, but i prefer gen 3's. Single recoil spring. And there are a great many parts available, oem, as well as aftermarket. Gen 3's used a 17 lb recoil spring for both 45acp and 10mm. There are many options for recoil spring weight.

As example, 45acp firing standard loads, the oem spring is fine. But if you use +p loads, which most leo loads are, like Hornady critical duty, 18 to 20 lb recoil springs will help service life, as well as felt recoil.

10mm common factory loads are actually under powered, closer to what 40 cal does. If using full powered 10mm loads, 20 to 22 lbs is advised. These are on full/normal sized glocks with 4.6 inch barrels.

Knowing this, and the options available with glocks, weight of slide is not as critical as maybe with some other firearms. Dirt and grit having the opportunity to get inside, if vents are cut clear through slide walls would bother me more for everyday carry. Everyday carry weapons tend to collect dust and dirt around barrel opening as it is.

Gen 4's use a two piece recoil spring, not sure all the options available, but they have been around long enough that im sure they are there.

Plus, keep in mind, even like 9mm, glocks are built for reliability. They are kind of like ak's, ugly but reliable, through a whole lot of variables. In 9mm, you can use garbage under powered ammo, or p+p's and it will still work. Slight weight in slide or recoil springs is just fine tuning really. The real answer will come on the range, put 200 rounds through it, any malfunctions, probably not, if so what type, and so on. You'll know by firing and feel, plus during cleaning and inspection if its hammering too hard, to light, whatever.

Last edited:
I kind of enjoy doing them and shoot them all I have not had any problems cycling. The only problem I’ve had is light primer strikes from a zev trigger kit it uses a lighter striker spring.

Again I'm thinking in gen 3 terms, but I think the oem firing pin striker spring is claimed to be 6 lbs, i think the reality is 6.5 to 7 lbs. Many trigger kits were supplying that spring at 2 lbs, which was too soft imo, and causing light strikes.

I did however use 4 or 4.5 lb springs, which have been 100% in primer detonation, and it just takes the slight edge off that heavy glock trigger pull.

You are doing beautiful work, i'm going to throw one in a VMC and try it myself I hope mine look half as good as yours! As mentioned, with different recoil springs, striker springs etc available for the glock, slide weight can be compensated for. I've been shooting Glocks since the gen one 17 came out and I shoot weekly and rarely have I had a problem with many different combinations of slides, barrels, springs, and triggers. Don't get me wrong there are some components on the market that are a little out of spec. but with a little gunsmithing you can usually make them work. Keep up the beautiful work, Jon P.

Back