What's new
What's new

Been looking at lathes...

Joe in CA

Plastic
I have been looking at lathes and I beleive I will get the Grizzly 4003 12X36. I looked at the birmingham, central machine, enco, and Grizzly. To be honest I really can't tell the diffrence when looking at them. They look like the same machine. Are their different parts in them higher quality? I also looked at a used clausing colchester 13X37 witch I would love to have and could tell the difference in quality but just could not afford, and for 3 or 4 barrel jobs a year I just can't see buying. Thank you.

Ive got a Grizz 13x40.

One of the reasons that I got that one was because it has a 1 3/8 hole through the spindle. This will allow you much more leeway than the standard 3/4 holes that most have.

The reason that they all look the same is because they are. Grizzly builds them for various companys and to their specs. About the only real difference is the color of the paint and the location of the switches. Some come with more or less tools in a package. After doing lots of research on them, Grizzly is generally the cheapest. The same lathe for other companys with ther logo on them often cost several hundred more. Since their main warehouse is in Sprinfield, Missouri which is about 3 1/2 hours from here, I went up there and got it, I didnt have to pay for shipping.

[This message has been edited by BobB (edited 02-13-2004).]

[This message has been edited by BobB (edited 02-13-2004).]

Joe,
Get the longest one you can afford. I have the Grizzly 131/2x40 and have been very happy with its accuracy. Had to return the 4jaw chuck twice though. I am over in Gilroy if you want to see mine.

Ed

Back