What's new
What's new

Going back to gunsmithing

valkrider

Plastic
After 32 years I'm about to apply to get an FFL again.

I'd like to get some info from those of you who have current FFLs.

In particular, I'd like to know if anyone here who has a type 7 license has been required to pay the $2250 ITAR registration? If so, did they contact you or did you contact them?

If your shop is on the same property as your home did your homeowners insurance company drop you when they found out you had a firearms business? I was told by an NRA approved insurance company that they typically do. If so were you able to get homeowners through the same company that insures your business?

I have a homeshop and last year I'd finally found a company that would insure both house and business/shop as they're attached(still 2 policies though). Now I'm trying to get/add insurance to cover gunsmith work, the business insurance does not cover it and the company wants nothing to do with it even though they used to insure the NFA... so now 3 weeks into it its going further to the few other possible carriers left. I have not heard anything yet as to cost, and how it might affect my other insurance coverage, as there'd now be at least 3 policies, 2 under 1 company and 1 under likely a 3rd assuming anyone bites and its not a price as foolish as I've read it could be.

All this to say, the majority of home gunsmiths don't appear to carry any insurance for their work, and I'll assume never mentioned anything to the home insurance company, as they don't usually cover any type of business like this anyhow, not just gunsmith.

Personally I don't believe there's nearly enough $ to be made in this line of work for it to be worth the liability risk it if it cannot be done properly as a viable business. So I'm also working on accessories now that are non critical and will not require the extra insurance.

We have a class 07 lic. but have not been required to be ITAR compliant. To the best of my knowledge, it involves military, aerospace, etc. trade and or exporting with a foreign person or company.

Our shop is on the same property as our home. We have separate policies for each, with different companies. Our homeowners would not cover the shop but have no problem with it being near the house.
Bobby

Our shop is on the same property as our home. We have separate policies for each, with different companies. Our homeowners would not cover the shop but have no problem with it being near the house.
Bobby

Same for me. Contact the NRA for a lead to insurance carrier for your gunshop.

Back