What's new
What's new

Good source for Springs and what lbs

frank7mm

Plastic
I'm in need of some springs one is for a firing pin for my 50 action. I was wondering if someone can direct me to a good online source so I can find what I need. I checked Brownells and theres nothing big enough. Also wondering if someone might suggest how many lbs it takes to set off a bmg primmer so I don't have to buy half a dozen. Thanks :D

If Brownells doesn't have the spring you are looking for, you are after one really unusual spring.

But, you might try the spring drawer at your local Ace Hardware. Seriously, you'll be surprised and what you'll find there. They have bailed me out on more than one occasion.

And since this a Machinist forum, have you considered making your own? Springs may seem like black magic to a lot of people but they are actually very simple tools. Do a little reading, maybe even take a course at the local Community College. I've made a lot of my own springs, both flat and coiled, and if I can do it, anyone can.

Ray

Little more info

Like approx diameter, length etc..
A simple way is to buy a Firing pin spring for a M2HB Browning MG, I know they are strong enough..... quick web search should get you one. I think ID might be too small for a firing pin in center( runs inside firing pin on M2 ), but it will give you a idea of diameter of wire and number of pounds required to compress it.

I wind my own.. a few tries on mandrel diameter, and pitch, to get it right.. Make pitch a little coarser than desired, they compress a bit during first use.

Something between .045 and .080 dia music wire should work.

Brownells is great for a repair but they don't list specs for alot. O.D. appox.500 to.575 ,I.D. appox .325, working length 5.750". basicly a rem 700 spring only bigger.

That is a perfect size

To wind your own... Buy a 1/2 pound of music wire and spin one up on lathe ..

Diameter of Music wire has the biggest effect on spring rate.

Its a simple coil spring, no heat treat required, should take less than 30 minutes and .25 cents worth of spring wire.

Backgear slowest speed. Rig a friction pad/clamp in toolholder to add a fair amount of tension to music wire. I hand spin chuck to get tension adjusted.

3 inches long should be fine (remember more length/weight will add to lock time...) DO NOT GET TANGLED IN SPRING WIRE (I cut into lengths only long enough for the job)

For a Super 700 style, just copy pitch of the 700 spring, add about 25% to allow for first compression settling, and wind on a approx .250 diameter mandrel (the spring will expand to around 5/16 or larger after tension is removed). Adjust ID by mandrel diameter after a few short practice pieces. (I start large and turn mandrel down to get where it needs to be)

For coarse pitch 1911 pistol style recoil springs, I just freehand carriage to get pitch...

Mandrel is simple scrap piece of rod with a 1/16 or so hole cross drilled in near chuck side to hold music wire (with a couple wraps around mandrel), and a center hole for tailstock. After you get dia of mandrel right, you can do a couple close winds near cross hole, engage half nuts at what ever pitch is closest. Disengage at opposite end of spring and do a few close winds to finish.

I cut wire going through mandrel free with a Dremal Cut off wheel and slide off to tailstock side of mandrel... flatten ends of springs by grinding and have fun...

Go to Mcmaster and carr and pick out a few die springs. they come in all grades and sizes. A 50 bmg primer requires a good lick. Make sure that you provide for ample means of pressure release in the event of a pierced primer. Some old surplus ammo has brittle primers.

Back