What's new
What's new

gun immobiliser

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan

Aluminum
I have come across a new type of gun safety device.They seem to be the best defence against an accident.
SELF LOCKING and seconds after your last shot the gun can be made safe.I have a photo if anyone would like to see.

The best defense against a gun accident is between your ears:
1. Every gun is always loaded.
2. Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire.
3. Never allow the muzzle to cover something you are not willing to destroy.
4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

When they're toddlers, you obviously have to keep it out of their reach, but I'll bet you don't have steak-knife immobilizers, lawn-mower immobilizers, etc.

As soon as they are old enough, make them read it, make them write it, make them practice it with dummy guns. Take them shooting with you and demonstrate safe handling. Unload the gun and allow them to handle it (as previously instructed) this allows them to dispel some of their natural curiosity. When they wish to, allow them to fire it - supervise very closely and load only one round at a time. I like to shoot milk jugs, bars of soap, etc to impress on them the danger downrange from the muzzle.

I hope you don't take this as a personal affront, Ryan, I don't mean it that way. It's just that the more mechanical safeties I see, the more I see adults shirking their responsiblity to supervise and educate.

At 3 years of age my son could tell you the safety rules on demand. Simplified for him was:
1) Don't touch guns without Dad present
2) Never point a gun at anyone. Even toy guns.
3) Keep you finger off the trigger.

He also knows to check both mag well and chamber.

I still keep guns unloaded unless they are on me. But being a gunsmith and working from home means lots of exposure to guns.I would rather have them educated than rely on any mechanical device. You get to rely on them and someday you might forget to use it. Or be unable to remove it.

My .02

You are good gun people.So are the people who I know.Except for your reasoning, an accident can occur thro not taking the maximum precausion.eg. What about your sons friends or your friends sons,Clay shoots where you mix with other guns.
As in a car you can be the best driver but what about the other drivers or their sons.
20,000 gun accidents happen If I can stop 1 then I will sleep better.

WE ARE MACHINISTS, HAVE WE NEVER SEEN MECHANICAL FAILURE? I DO HOWEVER THINK SAFETIES ARE A GOOD THING, BUT THEY DON'T TAKE THE PLACE OF EDUCATION AND THOUGHT.

Ryan,

You are correct all others must be considered. But in my experience "accidents" with kids and guns are happening in housholds where safe storage is not even considered. Anyone who is responable enough to look for locks ect. is probably already supervising their kids and storing guns in a safe manner.

I only worry about young children when discussing access. And their rate of injury is very low. A 16 or 18 year old is not a child and is responsable for their own actions. At age 10 or 12 ( depending on maturity) I will have given my son the combination to the safe and he will have access to the guns and ammo. Kids have saved themselves and their families with firearms. With training and an evaluation of your own situation this may or may not apply to you.

I am enjoying this discussion.
So far no one has asked to see an immobilizer, this I do not understand.I use mine all the time ,maybe my age.
I am frightened I will forget one day to do things right I can not live with that thought.I have 4 sons from 19 down to 3.With one of them I must be vigulant,he has no fear.
I always want learn but not always the hard way.

Ryan,

None of what follows is a slam on you. Just honest opinions. And you know what they say about those. I assume you designed this or know who did?

I am assuming this is for small children. The States that are mandating locks here have really unrealistic expectations that they should stop a teen with tools. I'll kinda comment both ways since you didn't specify.

This would work and keep the under 6 crowd from shooting the gun. A teen would drive it out from the muzzle and/or cut the cable in a jiffy.

I worked as a consultant for a gun safety manufacturer a couple of years ago. We were approached with something similar for the chamber. It will work and is a possible solution for a single gun owner. But so is coated cable through the barrel and a padlock. For that matter a padlock behind the trigger works on many firearms. This makes it hard to sell more expensive locks.

As to cables, They must be very thick (over .250) or you can cut through them with wire cutters. Again, depends on what you want to protect from.

I would not but something like this since I have a gun safe and quite a few guns. Even a cheap gun cabinet available under 100.00 US would keep kids out and store 8 or more guns.

How does it work in a semi auto where you don't have chamber access?

Sorry if this rambled. E-mail me with any questions. We are kinda off the machining subject here. I deleted the e-mail before I saved your address so I posted this message here.

[This message has been edited by Kent (edited 02-08-2003).]

My Father designed the immobilizers.

1. You cannot push them out through the
barrel they lock tighter by attempting
this.
Only by disconnecting the locking device
with the speical key will you remove them.

2. The wire attatchment is an oportuinists
thief's nightmare.No one will stop a well
organised thief, not even a safe.If
they really want your gun they will get
to it.
3. I wish my friend had one in his gun when
his son commited suicide.I donot know if
this would have made a difference but he
would have had to steal his dads gun then
steal the key to remove the immobilizer
Only God will know if thiey would have
made a difference.Personally I will
contuinue to use mine.

And know back to the machining problems.

Safety devices, like firearms come in many different shapes and forms to suit an individual's needs.
This device may be just right for some applications and not for others.
I have left this topic up since it is safety related, but basically anyone interested in Ryan's product should email him and evaluated it for themselves to determine if it suits thier application.

Regards
Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back