Guns to scare off grizzleys
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 212
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Webster Groves, MO
    Posts
    7,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2006
    Likes (Received)
    3733

    Default Guns to scare off grizzleys

    Having shuffled down this mortal coil to the point that I need to discuss the disposal of my junk, I took a poll of my family to see how many had an interest in my guns. One who lives in Colorado said he wanted a handgun that would make enough noise to scare off a grizzly. All I know about grizzlies is what I read, having never had a confrontation with one, but I would have some doubts about scaring one off. It seems to me that sometimes the bear might be annoyed by the noise and try to eliminate it. The most powerful handgun I have is a Trooper model S&W .357, a formidable piece of artillery, but I would not be comfortable using it to stop a mad bear.

    Does anyone here have more experience in this area?

    Bill

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hillsboro, New Hampshire
    Posts
    10,785
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2519
    Likes (Received)
    7556

    Default

    Your relative needs one of these: Sledge Hammer's invention, a loudener - YouTube

    More seriously, hope you have quite a while to go before such dispersals of stuff becomes necessary. I know I pity my relatives if I kick off too early...

  3. Likes Winterfalke liked this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,410
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1248
    Likes (Received)
    1770

    Default

    Did you ever read books by Peter Capstick? He was a pro hunter in Africa and wrote about a dozen good books. Peter Hathaway Capstick - Wikipedia

    Anyhow, they used 4 gauge slug guns (and sometimes a .577 Nitro Express) to hunt elephants at close range. A 4 oz. ball of lead packs a LOT of punch in two directions...

    For lions (which would be closer to a grizzly) they sometimes used 4 ga. buckshot. A big bang and a very dead cat if properly applied.

    P.S. Don't know if you can still get a 4 gauge shotgun, but it would be fun to lay my hands on one.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Vt USA
    Posts
    8,860
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1454
    Likes (Received)
    3138

    Default

    A black powder 45 revolver would be my choice to scare a creature. Lots of fire, bang and smoke.

    Revolvers

    nb

    Might not work, ;-)

  6. Likes Scottl liked this post
  7. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    BFE Nevada/San Marcos Tx
    Posts
    2,189
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2367
    Likes (Received)
    1306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChipSplitter View Post
    Did you ever read books by Peter Capstick? He was a pro hunter in Africa and wrote about a dozen good books. Peter Hathaway Capstick - Wikipedia

    Anyhow, they used 4 gauge slug guns (and sometimes a .577 Nitro Express) to hunt elephants at close range. A 4 oz. ball of lead packs a LOT of punch in two directions...

    For lions (which would be closer to a grizzly) they sometimes used 4 ga. buckshot. A big bang and a very dead cat if properly applied.

    P.S. Don't know if you can still get a 4 gauge shotgun, but it would be fun to lay my hands on one.
    Dear old dad was a safari hunter, one year he was asked by the government of Kenya to kill a real man-eating lion, seems it was helping itself to the natives at the watering hole inside one of the wildlife refuges. When he finally found it, it took 9 shots with a .475 nitro express to drop it at a full charge, it crumpled at his feet. The villagers celebrated that night!

    For a grizzly, I would not want anything less than a .41 or .44 mag.

  8. Likes ChipSplitter, DavidScott, Scottl, gmoushon liked this post
  9. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Vt USA
    Posts
    8,860
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1454
    Likes (Received)
    3138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
    Dear old dad was a safari hunter, one year he was asked by the government of Kenya to kill a real man-eating lion, seems it was helping itself to the natives at the watering hole inside one of the wildlife refuges. When he finally found it, it took 9 shots with a .475 nitro express to drop it at a full charge, it crumpled at his feet. The villagers celebrated that night!

    For a grizzly, I would not want anything less than a .41 or .44 mag.
    kilt is different than run off, two differing needs...

    Choose wisely my friend

    MEN STEALING MEAT FROM LIONS [MASAI TRIBE] - YouTube

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Missoula Mt
    Posts
    794
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    28
    Likes (Received)
    323

    Default

    45acp will not do it, use a 44mag...Phil

  11. Likes Casady Machine liked this post
  12. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    31,486
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Suitable iron for such a job - another July, 57 years ago (we were newly weds!)

    You know of course many of such monsters were RIFLES

    8-bore.jpg

  13. Likes dalmatiangirl61 liked this post
  14. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    12,298
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4153
    Likes (Received)
    4400

    Default

    My fishing buddy Wayne who is a elk hunter said that sme grizz come when they hear a shot with hopes to be first to a gut pile.

  15. Likes DrHook liked this post
  16. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Davidson NC USA
    Posts
    1,493
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    586
    Likes (Received)
    908

    Default

    There were four Delta Airlines pilots who planned for years to make a fishing trip to the wilds of Alaska. At long last, their schedules meshed, as a result of retirement, sick leave, vacation, and complex financial arrangements. They struggled to deplane in Anchorage with all their stuff, then they really struggled to load it all into DHC-3 Beaver for the long flight to the remote lake in the Interior. Just as the entire load was deposited on the floating dock, and the Beaver roared off down the lake, the fishing guide drove up in an ancient Jeep. He helped to pile all the gear into the Jeep, and find a seat for each fisherman. As they drove up a steep hill, the guide commented on the long-barreled revolver on ones belt. "Yep, he said, "this is a 44 Magnum. I carry it in case a grizzly wants to take my fish." "That's a good idea," stated the fishing guide. "When we get to the cabin, you will find a bench and a vise on the back porch, there is a flat bastard file in the drawer that you can use to file the front sight down smooth." Puzzled, the pilot asked, "Why should I do that?" With a serious stare over his glasses, the guide answered, "After you shoot that grizzly six times with that Magnum, he will jam the barrel up your a$$, and that will make it a lot easier to pull it out again. Those guys may have been American Airlines pilots.

  17. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    marysville ohio
    Posts
    10,173
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2887
    Likes (Received)
    6928

    Default

    Whatever you use to scare a grizzly had better be able to kill said grizzly in case he does not scare easily.

  18. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    16,207
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    10810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sealark37 View Post
    There were four Delta Airlines pilots who planned for years to make a fishing trip to the wilds of Alaska. At long last, their schedules meshed, as a result of retirement, sick leave, vacation, and complex financial arrangements. They struggled to deplane in Anchorage with all their stuff, then they really struggled to load it all into DHC-3 Beaver for the long flight to the remote lake in the Interior. Just as the entire load was deposited on the floating dock, and the Beaver roared off down the lake, the fishing guide drove up in an ancient Jeep. He helped to pile all the gear into the Jeep, and find a seat for each fisherman. As they drove up a steep hill, the guide commented on the long-barreled revolver on ones belt. "Yep, he said, "this is a 44 Magnum. I carry it in case a grizzly wants to take my fish." "That's a good idea," stated the fishing guide. "When we get to the cabin, you will find a bench and a vise on the back porch, there is a flat bastard file in the drawer that you can use to file the front sight down smooth." Puzzled, the pilot asked, "Why should I do that?" With a serious stare over his glasses, the guide answered, "After you shoot that grizzly six times with that Magnum, he will jam the barrel up your a$$, and that will make it a lot easier to pull it out again. Those guys may have been American Airlines pilots.
    "Untied", even.

    ALCAN highway pioneer road location party, one Sgt DID have to take down a charging brown with his service .45, std GI ball ammo.

    Had no choice. His horse had reared, dropped him spraddle-legged on his ass, beat hooves.

    Bear was coming for him across a clearing. Rest of the party fumbling to get their own horses under control, and get rifles out of scabbards.

    The guy was Regimental champion pistol shot, thankfully. Something like nine solid hits in "face" and into the brain out of not a lot more rounds fired, magazine having been swapped as if he meant it.

    Bear's brain was bone shard and bloody jello, so he had kept coming on muscle-memory or sumthin'

    Not stupid. Apex predator. Territorial. They know what they are. They are proud of that. Black bear are curious, wary, aware of humans as not necessarly enemies, but bad news to mess with.

    Browns, Grizz and Ohmigods (Ursus maritimus - the big white "HYPERcarnivorous" ones..) react to "intimidate" about the same as a recon Marine or a Gurkha would.

    No matter how many there are of YOU there is the ONE of them. Therefore YOU, not they, be the one outnumbered!

    Only thing likely to "scare" a Bear like that is a forest fire. Can't say as I recommend one.

  19. Likes JohnMartin, DrHook liked this post
  20. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Vt USA
    Posts
    8,860
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1454
    Likes (Received)
    3138

    Default

    " In the event of an altercation between man and the beasts, I believe I should side with the bears" ;-)

  21. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Vt USA
    Posts
    8,860
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1454
    Likes (Received)
    3138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moonlight machine View Post
    Whatever you use to scare a grizzly had better be able to kill said grizzly in case he does not scare easily.
    Do you feel that six rounds of .470 round ball at 1100fps would be sufficient? There would be a lot of smoke with the high speed lead poisoning. ;-)

  22. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    1,102
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    326
    Likes (Received)
    517

    Default

    Hey, Bill, a Trooper is a Colt, not a S&W.

  23. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Posts
    482
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1261
    Likes (Received)
    282

    Default

    12 gauge with slugs

  24. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Vt USA
    Posts
    8,860
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1454
    Likes (Received)
    3138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steven-Canada View Post
    12 gauge with slugs
    Are grizzlies scared of slugs? they do make quite a whizzing sound as they pass by.

  25. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Posts
    12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Bill, i think scaring a grizzly and stopping an angry grizzly are two different things.

    I have no experience with grizzlies, but if i had a grizzly charging me, and i only had a handgun, it would have to be my 44Mag.

    Any one of the other mentioned noisy toys would make a noise to hopefully scare off a grizzly and not make him angryGuns to scare off grizzleys

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  26. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    352
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    68
    Likes (Received)
    137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steven-Canada View Post
    12 gauge with slugs
    This is the best answer on large bears. A 12 gauge with Brenneke slugs can offer up the same sort of kinetic energy as a .375 H&H. To make an impression on a grizz, especially a big brown bear, you need mass.

    When I've been in Alaska, the hunting guides and F&G officers with whom I've talked said they take a 12 gauge with slugs for their "bear gun." No handguns need apply.

  27. Likes chet liked this post
  28. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    325
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    75
    Likes (Received)
    149

    Default

    I spent a couple years in Alaska. The M-16 was the issue rifle but on major field exercises with field kitchens set up we had at least one M-14 along for bears and moose. I never thought we were over gunned.

    I you're depending on noise alone there's not much difference between a .357 Magnum and a .44 Magnum. I didn't find a decibel chart directly comparing the .357 and the .44 but the .41 won't be much different.

    .357 Magnum 164.3 dB
    .41 Magnum 163.2 dB


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •