Guns to scare off grizzleys - Page 10
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    The Cousin who bet me I couldn't pee accurately enuf' to hit "that there run of warr over younder" was wrong. I could. Though the wire hit me a lot HARDER! Had *I* not been a city kid? I might have recognized it as an electric cattle fence.
    LOL, you had that cousin too. Thought I was alone in this lesson.
    Bob

2. Likes CalG liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    LOL, you had that cousin too. Thought I was alone in this lesson.
    Bob
    Well .. I thought I was smarter than I wuz. You'd have to know five-year olds?

It wasn't strung between insulators. Just sorta layin' in the weeds. Therefor it wasn't electrified?

I twigged to it later. My Uncle used it as a "gate".

Pull up to that wire across a gap, climb off the John Deere, snatch the old brown felt Fedors he always wore off his bald once-redhaired and easily sunburnt head, and use the hat as a mitten to lift the wire off one side and lay it out of the way.

Pull the tractor through. Come back, use the hat to grab the hot wire and put it back across the gap.

At least I had learnt that electricity was independent of altitude.

Folks have been kilt as didn't realize that a downed power line - and the water it might be layin' in - can still be live! And then.. it still is, and they are no longer..

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We have some grizzly in the North Cascades, and there are a few in Yellowstone. Other than that, you aren't likely to encounter a griz in the lower 48.

From the time I was a kid, I carried a Rem 740 for bear protection in SE Alaska. Fortunately never had to test it out. Admiralty Island has the highest density of brown bear anywhere. Baranof and Chichagof close seconds.

I've had several encounters with Brown bears, and they will go the other way if you don't startle them. Don't try to be sneaky in bear country!

Helps to have a dog with you, the dog will smell the bear long before you will see him. I've been 20 feet from one in the tall grass and never even knew he was there. If he had wanted me, I'd have been supper.

Dad blasted the horn on the boat, which was the signal for me to go to the beach so he knew I was okay. He came ashore in the skiff with Nicki our poodle, and she instantly freaked out. We walked up on a little rise and scanned the meadow I was in. Sure enough, a big brownie was right there.

That's the closest I've ever been.

I was taught to never try a head shot on a brown bear- you break them down. Go for the shoulders. When you come up on him, stick the barrel in his eye socket. If he moves, pull the trigger. You get in trouble, but you are alive to plead in court. If you have to wound one, you have to kill it. Can't leave a wounded bear in the woods, someone else just has to go in and take it.

A lot of people in AK carry slug guns. 870's or 1100's with cylinder bores and rifled slugs. Rifles, .30-06 as a minimum, prefer belted magnums. A handgun is a noisemaker.

5. Likes Pathogen liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jancollc View Post
    I was taught to never try a head shot on a brown bear-
    Bear or any OTHER animal with a Notochord, it isn't as simple as might first appear.

The part of the "brain" that doesn't know it is dead is the structure right at the top end of the spinal cord. "Crocodile Brain" and BELOW, or brain stem, the shrinks call it.

Doesn't do any IMMEDIATE good to give a bear a frontal lobotomy or even blast the top three inches of his skull and everything in it clear OFF... unless that hydroshock s the stem. IF . the Medulla and below are undamaged? Killing machine is still at yah on reflex aided by "muscle memory" in the ganglion networks closer to the weaponry and motation systems.

Bear is dead or dying? Bear hard-wired at low-level to just not quit can STILL mean one less threat to Bear-kind in general. Survival trait for the species, if not also the individual Bear.

Kodiak Bear. Kamaikaze bear. Dying valiantly to make the world "safer for bearkind". Whichever. What's in a name, anyway?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    ...Bear is dead or dying? Bear hard-wired at low-level to just not quit can STILL mean one less threat to Bear-kind in general.
    What I left out in that post- when he's down and not moving, it's lunchtime. Keep an eye on him while you're having your coffee and sandwich.

After lunch is over and he's bled for a half hour or so, he hasn't budged- then it's safe to go stick the gun in his eye.

Dad was up in Yakutat Bay one year. Had a dead moose jump up on him- he got to wrestle the fucking thing by the antlers. Dad was about 2 weeks out of spinal fusion at the time. He tried to cut the throat on that moose, lol.

That's when he told me the eye socket thing.

Head and neck shots are for things you are going to eat. Kill them or they get away uninjured. That's my pref.

Something's gonna eat me, I'm not worried about saving any meat but my own.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jancollc View Post
    What I left out in that post- when he's down and not moving, it's lunchtime. Keep an eye on him while you're having your coffee and sandwich.

After lunch is over and he's bled for a half hour or so, he hasn't budged- then it's safe to go stick the gun in his eye.

Dad was up in Yakutat Bay one year. Had a dead moose jump up on him- he got to wrestle the fucking thing by the antlers. Dad was about 2 weeks out of spinal fusion at the time. He tried to cut the throat on that moose, lol.

That's when he told me the eye socket thing.

Head and neck shots are for things you are going to eat. Kill them or they get away uninjured. That's my pref.

Something's gonna eat me, I'm not worried about saving any meat but my own.
    Yah surely do have THAT priority right!

Eleven neck shots in a row, nary a single miss, that 1/4 MOA .300 Savage Orren Bellows handed me the first nine, then he was into a love affair with his own new 7mm Remington Magnum, same Balvar 8 scope 'coz it could hit woodchucks a lot further out.

Dad doin' the shootin' for the bigger double-door commercial freezer on the farm.
    Venison steaks? Not so much. Wild game is dangerous lousy with parasites, long years, already, kinda dry, time it is cooked safely.

He ground it up, cut it 50-50 with pork for sausage, stews, chilis, currys, and burger. Protein was cheap enough. Pork needed cooked well, too, but added the fat Venison don't usually carry. Very nice blend, that makes.

Ever' he wanted a roast, a tenderloin, or a New York strip? That was off the yearling steer they had a neighbour raise from a calf ever' year! Yah get about 400 to 600 lbs Avoir, counting all cuts and other stuff outta one of those.

You'd have to know ELDERLY mountain folk a coupla hundred years in the same County when they gits too old to be much bothered with all the "overhead", have plenty of money for a simple life style?

Them button buck neck shots was done over a leather shot bag rest on the winder sill of the upstairs bathroom. At under fifty yards to the stand of sweet corn they was fond of raiding! Most of the 81 whistle pigs he took in a single year, same window! Front porch it was a Savage-Aschutz in .22 WMR, 4 Power Redfield.

Given he let nature dispose of the carcasses, kin finally asked him to jest quit that s**t...before they had to take to wearing gas masks to git any sleep, "Middle Run" stinkin' of death as bad as it did. "Its a charnel house, that patch of the valley...."

"You'd have to know ELDERLY mountain folk....."

In his 80's arredy, Dad jest grinned, said:

"When I get too old, deaf, blind, and crippled to take care of myself, there's already a legend built to not go anywhere near that demented old fool that shoots first and gets one-shot kills on anything that moves or sets still..at unreal range."

He weren't quite funnin', either....

Cousins got there first when he clocked-out, just short of 92. So he died same as his Dad had...not OWNING nary a single firearm!

No fear. He'd already given back my .300 Savage, had onpassed the Mauser .22 and Drielling years earlier, even gotten the Fancy Grade Remington 1100 Semi-Auto 12 bore I lent him back to me as well.

I had never liked the Remington BDL action compared to Mauser, nor his choice of handguns either. No loss atall.

9. Likes jancollc liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would consider handloads for this one.
    The 12 gauge is in the middle.

bear.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have no personal experience with grizzlies, but plenty with black bears, from what the experts say a grizzly and a black bear are exact opposites, black bears scare easily, I don't believe anything scares a grizzly. Whatever you think you can scare a grizzly with better be good enough to kill it quickly, just in case it just pisses him off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Learning View Post
    I would consider handloads for this one.
    The 12 gauge is in the middle.

bear.jpg
    I could imagine the kick that thing has.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    I have no personal experience with grizzlies, but plenty with black bears, from what the experts say a grizzly and a black bear are exact opposites, black bears scare easily, I don't believe anything scares a grizzly. Whatever you think you can scare a grizzly with better be good enough to kill it quickly, just in case it just pisses him off.
    As always, it is Politics.

Black bear are Ripofflicans. They back away from any confrontation, go about their business out of sight, sneak around, shit in hidden places, come back later and eat only part of your chow. They always leave enough so as to not QUITE starve their support animals. They consider you USEFUL at providing more food, indefinitely. They try to not to scare YOU as it f**ks-up your productivity!

Brown bear are Dumbasscraps. All food b'long Bear, and you ARE "food". Defy them, they'll destroy all humans, then go tell lies and pick fights with other bears if they have not already. They are certain that the resources of some other bear will aways provide for their needs. Scaring others is only incidental. Their primary mission is to eat, shit, and tell lies about when and where they did either.

Polar bears are independents. They shit wherever suits them, don't care who knows it, are too lazy to lie. They don't actually give a damn if anything is scared or not, so long as they can eat it. Other bears included. Unless "other bear" is a good shag.

There's hope.

At least ONE of that lot has their priorities right!

No. I don't know which one, either. Nor does DJT. He flunked "Bear 101".

Something more enduring than humans shall just have to wait and see. Best we build more durable robots? Ones that don't resemble food?

Unless we are also independents. In which case why would we give a s**t? One bearskin is about as useful as any other - no "racism" involved.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

More to the op in Colorado what is the best protection, fast and light weight to carry when hiking?
    Elephant guns all great but not fast to target or lightweight. Certainly one can have stuff that will kill a tank but that not so great for a fun weekend backpack hike.
    The 12 most dangerous animals found in Colorado | OutThere Colorado
    Bob

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    More to the op in Colorado what is the best protection, fast and light weight to carry when hiking?
    Elephant guns all great but not fast to target or lightweight.
    The 12 most dangerous animals found in Colorado | OutThere Colorado
    Bob
    Most dangerous animal found ANYWHERE is a tool-making, tool-theiving, tool-using, tool-abusing, statue-sodomizing, arson-loving erect biped.

Hesitate to call them "human". That part seems to be an open question of late?

Pika may not swarm. These do, the LESS brains involved in communication or behaviour in general, the more likely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Guns? To scare off bear?We don't need no stinkin guns.

Swedish man scares the living shit out of an attacking bear - YouTube

17. Likes michiganbuck liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just wave your 06 at them at least these 2 bears appreciate what an 06 can do.

thunderstick.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We have been thinking about this all wrong. Trying to scare intimidate or outright kill them. I saw the answer on the CBS morning news. Video of a bear walking into a store and walking out with a bag of Doritos. Just carry a couple of bags with you and hold one out if approached by a bear. So easy! If you try it and it does not work and you get eaten, please send your complaints to CBS and not me.

Anyone else see a Super Bowl commercial coming from this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FredC View Post
    We have been thinking about this all wrong. Trying to scare intimidate or outright kill them. I saw the answer on the CBS morning news. Video of a bear walking into a store and walking out with a bag of Doritos. Just carry a couple of bags with you and hold one out if approached by a bear. So easy! If you try it and it does not work and you get eaten, please send your complaints to CBS and not me.

There is a serious downside to this. Many years ago a woman held out a snack to a bear in a cage in a zoo. The bear grabbed her hand and pulled her up against the bars and wouldn't let go. A bystander lit a rolled up newspaper and stuck it in the bear's face. It reacted by pulling away, pulling the woman's arm clear off.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FredC View Post

Fred

I saw that bear in the store video. 'even showed it to my wife. Our son lives in SLT ;-)

From the looks of the heft of that bear, That wasn't it's first bad of Dorritos!

Question: Where does a bear like that sleep?

Answer: Anywhere it wants!

;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    There is a serious downside to this. Many years ago a woman held out a snack to a bear in a cage in a zoo. The bear grabbed her hand and pulled her up against the bars and wouldn't let go. A bystander lit a rolled up newspaper and stuck it in the bear's face. It reacted by pulling away, pulling the woman's arm clear off.

Bill
    Yeah,
    Bears are seriously dangerous. Thought this thread had run it course and CBS offered a little humor that could be added here.
    About 20 years ago there was a series of photos in National Geographic showing a polar bear approaching a husky chained to a stake. Was not sure I wanted to follow the photos to the end. But the husky wanted to play and they had a good old time. One of the last photos in that series the bear was lying on its back cooling off and the husky wanting to play some more.
    So a polar bear approaches you does it want to play, eat you or your Doritos? 3 choices and 2 of them may not have good outcomes. I will take rattle snakes any day. Shot at one the other day and banged it once with a shovel but it got away. Hopefully it died later.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

38 special is an ok gun for a hungry angry polar bear.. just before he gets you put the gun at your temple and pull the trigger.

Guess one might wait till the bear bites the barrel and then pull the trigger.

I have heard for most other bears you hold your hat up at high arms length and walk away from bears.
    No I have never done that... I almost always have bear sign and see a few bears at kellyroadcanp. So far not any problems with them.

One morning at KRC I sat in my chair and a big bear was sitting right out side my window.. finally I had to smack the window seat and yell at him to make him go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Prolly has already been mentioned as I didn't read the whole thread..........................

All you need is a .22 Deringer....................when you see the grizz charging, you shoot your buddy in the leg and run. Slowest guy get's eatin'...............................

Wasn't there an old joke about a 44 mag being used for grizz defense.......................somethin' about filing off the front sight so it won't hurt as bad when the bear shoves it up your a--?

But a .22 will work........................https://throughahunterseyes.com/bella-twin-22-used-take-1953-world-record-grizzly/