UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by david n View Post
    Thank you for that!

Expertise... much as a silenced .22 pistol is a favoured tool of assassins.

Better odds than a Maasai taking-on a lion with nowt but a muscle-powered spear.

Good enough odds, even so, that Lions tend to go extinct where the Maasai graze their precious cattle.

Mind, they are prone to cheating, fielding a rapid-response team of tribesmen and "ganging up". Lions tend to eat lawsters who mought get a court order, their favour, so have to just take those odds "fair" or never. Or get TF out of range.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am told that at one time young Massai mens' equivalent of a Bar Mitzvah was to kill a lion without assistance. Trouble was they ran out of lions.

Bill

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    I am told that at one time young Massai mens' equivalent of a Bar Mitzvah was to kill a lion without assistance. Trouble was they ran out of lions.

Bill
    They have a STRANGE way of assigning males to an age-grouping. Sort of like a University "class" where one guy might be fifteen, another 25.

That said, there seems to be some question as to the real-world prevalence of the Lion "ticket punch".

On other evidence, it might be a Zulu as represents Africa's "apex predator" prior to firearms arriving. Or even for a while afterwards. See Isandlwana, then Rorke's Drift. The movie got a great many of the facts just plain wrong.

Chief among them:

- The simpering portrayal of Commissary Dalton. The reality being he was a retired Sergeant of Foot, Canadian theatre, tougher than cut-nails, and it was HIS plan for defense and layout of barricades, his inspiration of the troops that prevailed, not John Roush Chard's.. who BTW, had three full years rank on Bromhead, plus having been breveted to command, formally, so there never was a scene over whom was in charge, either. Hollywood..

- and that as "the" supply depot for the columns, the 100-plus defenders had TWENTY THOUSAND rounds of .45-Boxer-Henry... and USED UP all but about the last 900 rounds!

Talk about reliable for black powder rifles!!! And the worst-ever of shit-lousy markmanship WITH same!

Up until War Two needed 18,000 to 24,000 rounds fired for each enemy put-down.

By 'nam and onward, the war wudda been cheaper to have just handed every Vietnamese citizen two million dollars and a ticket to go live in France.

By present-day Middle East munitions, logistics, and last-mile delivery costs? Buy them off at a hundred million per avoided casualty and they could live on yachts moored at the Costa Esmerelda in the Med.

"All war is at core economic."

Whatever ELSE he has or has not done, DJT seems to have figured out that spending two million bucks to whack one skinny grade-school-dropout with a cheap RPG, his ass and a headcloth, is bad business economics.

Even if you actually HIT the sad f**ker about every third attempt at it.

I LIKE the idea of a "powerful military".. that is SO powerful it can stay TF HOME, NOT have to ...set-off so damned-many rudely expensive warshots.. and still not be MESSED with!

Swiss-style, even.

Last edited by thermite; 08-30-2020 at 12:30 PM.

4. Likes tdmidget liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

22, 38, 44 mag, 12 gauge.... I wonder which end Jimmy Hoffa bought.
    And make no doubt, he was a bear and plus.
    Bob

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Bob
    That era? It probably wasn't like "the movies".

Where a .22 semi-auto with silencer is used ... and the fool perp goes around trying to pick up his brass!

I've seen ONE movie..where it was more believable.

.22 revolver. Silenced. Taped around the front of cylinder to barrel gap to also muffle that leakage.

Seemed a daft thing to posit in cinema. That said? They probably had real-world "technical adviser" input. It's just TOO daft, otherwise

Sure, the tape was a mess.

But.. there was no brass ejected all over the space!

And the revolver was deep-six'ed after but the one use.

THEN it was more believable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Somebody didn't want brass lying around so he used a large frame revolver with a cylinder and barrel a smaller caliber. He bored recesses in the front of the cylinder and fitted composition washers in the pockets. The gas pressure drove them against the barrel, containing most of the side spit. He used a conventional silencer on the muzzle.

Bill

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    Somebody didn't want brass lying around so he used a large frame revolver with a cylinder and barrel a smaller caliber. He bored recesses in the front of the cylinder and fitted composition washers in the pockets. The gas pressure drove them against the barrel, containing most of the side spit. He used a conventional silencer on the muzzle.

Bill
    He could have just BOUGHT a better factory-made one. There have been several very effective designs.

Léon Nagant's design also had extraordinary production volume.

Silly video, but they FINALLY get to show it surpressed!

Nagant Revolver with AAC TiRant 9 Suppressor - Ash with JMAC Customs - YouTube

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Bob
    My bet would be a S&W 38.

I read someplace that to shoot a brown in the face likely the bullet would slide along the face angles and nor penetrate.

Shooting a bear most any other place likely just would make it very mad.

Telling a bear to turn to the side for a side headshot likely may not work.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    My bet would be a S&W 38.
    Hoffa? The guy who finally ratted it out said he was already dead and in the boot of a car when the killers showed up for the "usual" body disposal his kin was runnin' for the mob as a side bizness. Article is out their in internet-land.

I read someplace that to shoot a brown in the face likely the bullet would slide along the face angles and nor penetrate.

Shooting a bear most any other place likely just would make it very mad.
    That Sgt on the Alcan project was pumping GI-issue .45 ACP at a combat speed, direct frontal. And was the Regimental pistol champ.

Injun guide looked it over afterwards found that what went in nose and below shattered the back of the skull on exit. .45 government ball ammo ain't no .22 bounce-around-like-a-pinball-machine hollow point. Human, the .22 DOES tend to do that, f**k-up the brain-wires really badly, and NOT exit atall.

What did not go into mouth area just left furrows in fur and bone on the outside.
    Seen that a lot. Just not on bears.

Telling a bear to turn to the side for a side headshot likely may not work.
    Turnin' 'em "sideways" for a better shot ain't hard. "Nose brain" class critter.

You ain't forgot how to FART have ye?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wonder if anyone has ever tried a couple of thousand lumen LED flashlight in strobe mode pointed in the vicinity of a bear's eyes? I think they don't have very good eyesight anyway and mostly "see" with their noses.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A 2mw Green HeNe?

Are Bears Photopic or Scotopic? More likely BEARtopic!

Actually , that is an interesting idea. Bear vision sensitivity... How do you get them to respond to the test questions? ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    He could have just BOUGHT a better factory-made one. There have been several very effective designs.

Léon Nagant's design also had extraordinary production volume.

Silly video, but they FINALLY get to show it surpressed!

Nagant Revolver with AAC TiRant 9 Suppressor - Ash with JMAC Customs - YouTube
    It was an article in Soldier of Fortune magazine over 20 years ago, probably closer to 30.

Bill