Guns to scare off grizzleys - Page 8
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Probably a mental thing ... bears less than 100 feet away a few times last summer ("grizzlies" are just brown bears), didn't bother me, just reached for the glasses. But a rattlesnake, no f-ing way, I'da climbed a tree and spent the night sleeping in the branches

You know what's worse ? When you're swimming and see one slithering along on top of the water. Damn things swim better than a fish.

Snake does taste good tho.
    Never seen a rattle snake swim, might be possible. Now cotton mouth water mocasins definitely swim. Talk about a ill tempered aggressive snake, that one qualifies.

One other thing about rattle snake bites, you probably will not die till you see the medical bill. $50,000. is not unusual. I had a cat that got bit in the upper lip, she lost part of her lip but the vet bill was only $80.00. I have joked since that I would go to the vet instead of the hospital if I ever got bit.

Donie you might feel the need if so many of your friends had actually been bitten and you had some really close calls. The rattle snake that gets away today may bite you tomorrow, or it may be one of its babies. Nonpoisonous snakes get a pass around here especially king snakes, the old saying "the enemy of my enemy is my friend". The fellow that built our exterior fences always carried an empty box with him. He would catch any king snake he found and take it home. King snakes are known to eat rattle snakes. Calvin the fence builder is one of my friends that was bitten feeding a calf early in the morning. The snake is now displayed on his wall. I did not ask him how much his bills were, but he was in the hospital for several days.

Do not know anything about Linus's queen snakes!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FredC View Post
    Never seen a rattle snake swim, might be possible. Now cotton mouth water mocasins definitely swim. Talk about a ill tempered aggressive snake, that one qualifies.
    AFAIK all snakes can swim but some care for it less than others. Big advantage of rattler over grizzly is you can wear protective boots and chaps. Best protective clothing against a grizzly is probably an APC, turret gun optional. They can peel a door open easily on most modern passenger cars and pickup trucks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

About a year or so ago, I had been visiting with a friend in a rural area near my home. As he walked me out the door we were chatting until he pushed me away and yelled "snake!"

A four-foot Rattlesnake in the shrubbery near the door was using his rattle and coiling up to bite my leg not three feet from where I had been standing.

He stuck his head in the door and yelled to his wife "Gun!" She quickly appeared with a weapon and he dispatched the snake with one shot from his vintage Remington .22. He keeps it loaded with .22 shot shells for just such emergencies. He told me that he gets two or three of them a month where he lives.

They say that you won't necessarily die from a Rattlesnake bite, but you can lose a lot of flesh from necrosis. I'll pass on that.

It's not unusual to see Rattlers in Northern California. They are as abundant as politicians but a lot friendlier and easier to reason with.

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FredC View Post
    One other thing about rattle snake bites, you probably will not die till you see the medical bill. $50,000. is not unusual. I had a cat that got bit in the upper lip, she lost part of her lip but the vet bill was only $80.00. I have joked since that I would go to the vet instead of the hospital if I ever got bit.
    A friend of mine did exactly that .... his girlfriend dropped something on her big toe, was limping around when they took the cat to the vet (had feline leukemia, they didn't have health insurance but kept the cat alive for a year. Priorities.)

Normally I'm not a cat person but Kitski was coal-black and had the personality of a miniature panther. He was right out of the Jungle Book.

Anyway, vet saw Roxanne hobbling, said "what's the matter ?" took an x-ray, set the toe and put a cast on her because he knew none of us had very much money. He was a great vet. And yeah, it was a lot cheaper

I still like bears better than snakes ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The vet was risking his future. I have known vets that I would rather have treat me but they wouldn't dare. The law has a really bad attitude about vets treating people.

Bill

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Newman109 View Post
    He keeps it loaded with .22 shot shells for just such emergencies. He told me that he gets two or three of them a month where he lives.
    Our line have been trafficing with the Mocassins, Copper snakes, and rattlers of VA, WBGVA, PA tidewater to the Appalachians since early Jamestown days. Weapon of choice has never changed four hundred year and a bit.

Ignorant gardening hoe.

Fitted with a handle about two-feet longer than what Ames & such have a'hangin' on the Big Box racks. We need 'em ANYWAY, so they are always in-hand or very CLOSE to-hand. Wasting anything as involved gunpowder, store-bought, and for cash money would git you a look as if you were a profligate off to waste money on strong drink and painted wimmin'!

Long-handled hoe takes any poison-snake's haid right off and/or breaks its back in one or more places to get a better shot at it for near-zero risk or effort. Then serves to migrate the remains to a better place, same tool, already in-hand.

Also let's yah coax a USEFUL blacksnake, at least "once in a while" if not reliably reg'lar, predator of poison snakes, to a more convenient place without harm.

Or kill those as have gone after stealing eggs outta the henhouse.

Now and then we'd get one so STUPID as to swaller one of the old porcelain or fired-enamel-over-brass doorknobs G'Mum used for nest eggs!

Snake's haid is smaller than the average glans on a human penis.
    Ain't no wonder they don't have room for a lotta brains, yah?

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    The vet was risking his future. I have known vets that I would rather have treat me but they wouldn't dare. The law has a really bad attitude about vets treating people.
    yes, this was quite a while ago, and a little bit out in the country and after about a bazillion visits they knew each other pretty well. I also would rather go to a big animal vet than most doctors.

Speaking of "freedom", by the way ....

Meanwhile, some famous doctors are free to claim that many disorders are caused be sex with demons ....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    If you mean our man from Walla Walla? He opened that kimono in another thread a while back. He's in a hurt not of his own chosing.
    "O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!" Robert Burns

Bill

9. Likes tdmidget liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    "O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!" Robert Burns

Bill
    Some hae meat, and canna eat.
    And some wad eat that want it..

He's right about one thing, Bill. Only five years an active machinist for my crust. How good at it? Got those votes in real time. Advancement, pay rises and rock-solid references. From those who KNEW. No guesswork involved.

It's the OTHER half a century as is trying to help him in the way he has chosen for dealing with the part he did NOT want.

I actually LIKE the guy, hard as that may be for some of y'all wanting a s**t show for entertainment - OR for it to vanish - either one ..to grok!

Better days, we get along OK.

Vertical head on No2 B&S Mill

Surgeries? Morphine? He even expained how that makes him lash-out in another post.

OK. I dig that. Old enuf' to have seen it before.

Health issues in general? It could be any of us. ANY! Has been already.

Not everyone handles things the same way is all.

Bad days? We do the dam' s**t-show! Nothing else FOR it!
    Dunno about HIM, but surely I never DID learn how to do no ballet dance or such!

No fear. We have enough flexibility to accomodate that. Surely we do?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    If you mean our man from Walla Walla? He opened that kimono in another thread a while back. He's in a hurt not of his own chosing.

You sir are a liar and fraud on this forum. Constantly provoking me will result in me further exposing your lies about being a machinist.
    No, termite you never ran 50" 50hp Niles lathes making spring cuts. You had to base your lies in a time before most here were alive.
    You have not post any threads of your own, or post any photos.
    Your buddies say your base is in the Monarch forum, where your bullying has chased off most professionals except me.
    And then "termite, you attacked me" and I looked all the way down into your soul. and say enough!

I reminded you termite, I am a real person, a working professional machinist, and you are a tech writer with some sort of severe problem, and you made a big mistake picking me.

It is very simple termite, I will expose you with your own words, just so easy to do when "the" liar cant shut up.
    The multi identities is another issue I will address later. I will not start here, no, but on you home base the Monarch forum......

Your continuous hateful personal attacks, only shows your pants are down, as low as they go. And will only cause you further embarrassment.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by donie View Post
    Your continuous hateful personal attacks, only shows your pants are down, as low as they go.
    Not really. PM doesn't forget much .... even when we mere mortals do.

All it shows is that you are in another bad patch ... and messed up on those meds.

You, yourself, already EXPLAINED TO US... when you were in a BETTER situation.

You, yourself, told us how you lash out on purpose.. to drive people AWAY.

That ain't the real YOU!

The "real you" actually LIKES people. You enjoy sharing and communicating over projects and the craft.

It is the damned MORPHINE doing the vicious paranoid nutter act. Not "you".

We get it.

So you are past just those seven surgeries? Maybe by a lot.

I still wish the best for you. Probably a lot more folks do, too.

Even when you make it noisy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Again termite attempting to portray me as a drug addled out patient, is not very, nice. But that is what happens when you catch him lying.
    He is crying here because he is mildew in the Monarch forum, just watch.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by donie View Post
    Again termite attempting to portray me as a drug addled out patient, is not very, nice. But that is what happens when you catch him lying.
    Take a nap.

Your OWN words were cited.

Might not be within your grasp to understand what that means in the present circumstances, but...

... if that was "lying"?

It would have to be because YOU, not I, had told the lie.

I can stand WHATEVER you throw. Indefinitely. It was a normal part of my JOB.
    Ever and always.

"Senior Technical Writer" was seven months a team leader. 1968-69. And then I hired my former boss's, boss's boss.

"Managing Director / Chairman" was twenty YEARS, cumulative. At two companies.

More than thirty years in the workforce on SOMEBODY'S dime before that started, already? Think on that.

Management is ALL ABOUT "people". Hammer away. It's like the weather. I don't control it. I just adapt to it and prevail. Regardless. It was what they paid me to do. Regardless.

YOU... might be under less stress... not more .. if you tried to find a better way forward than posting trash when you are in a bad way?

I don't mind. But I am not he who runs things.

Naps are good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OMG. Not sure if some of these posters are the one and the same. I mean, why not argue with oneself on a public forum......

Anyway. When fucking with a grizzly? If that fucker is on you, you ain't scaring that bitch. If a bear sights on you, and come sniffing, whatever. If a bear wants to eat you, you're fucked. I'd say 300 blackout on a small bore rifle, from 100yds, multiple rounds through the head, and you may have a chance. Sever the cerebral cortex as soon as possible.

Or, wake up, have your porridge, take your noise maker, and kiss your ass goodbye. I'm guessing you'll wait too long to take the shot that matters. Nice knowing you. K, luv ya, buh bye.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider845 View Post
    Anyway. When fucking with a grizzly?
    LOL! Welll I READ THIS.. no "personal" experience f**king with a bear not bare, yeah?

Now ..knowing YOU you'll claim I got it "up close and personal"..

.. but seems that Bears have really small DICKS.. for a big animal.

Or even for a much smaller animal.

Could it be simple jealousy as to why they hate on us?

"What kind of gun" to scare a Bear?

HVLP?

Face full of truck bed liner might f**k him up long enough to get TF outta Dodge?

"What kind of gun" to scare a Bear?

Very Pistol. Starburst flare off the ground betwixt yah.

But then yah have that forest-fire hazard. Catch 22.
    Last edited by thermite; 08-01-2020 at 02:55 PM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

interesting that sometimes you can pop off a 30-06 100 yards from a deer and it might run, lookup for a moment or just keep eating on a beat.

I figure a bear may run to the next county from a broken small twig, or if it has it appetite or anger on you a 50 cal is not going to make enough noise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Ignorant gardening hoe.
    LOL
    Grandma did this up north outside her garden when I was a very little guy and I'll never forget it.
    Very effective and a whole new level of respect for Grandma.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=thermite;3595018]If you mean our man from Walla Walla?
    /QUOTE]

I was referring to both of you more or less equally. You have illustrated your inability to take an objective view of your self.

The situation is a lot like the woman who went to a doctor complaining that she passed gas constantly, but they didn't smell. After examining her, the doctor announced that he could cure her with two operations, the first one on her nose.

I have my own opinions about lots of people here, but seldom get into such exchanges, mostly because I don't let them upset me. I suspect that a lot of posters here feel the same way. There are some who can be counted on to take a negative view on almost any subject. I just say, "He is being normal for him." and move on.

Bill

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Do the scuba divers use a 12 ga shell in a "bump stick" ?
    For sharks.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Do the scuba divers use a 12 ga shell in a "bump stick" ?
    For sharks.
    Though of that, post #1. But those are "up closs and personal" same as a Japanese short sword. Kep' my mout' shut aboudid.

D'you ken how much reach a Bear has? Or how deadly a swing?

Four-deuce!

Or maybe a Warthog? The aircraft. Not the Bear-feast!