Close
Login to Your Account
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=9100;3595924]
    Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    The situation is a lot like the woman who went to a doctor complaining that she passed gas constantly, but they didn't smell.
    Bill
    Get it right: They don't make any noise, and they don't smell.

Now they smell terrible but still don't make any noise. OK we fixed your sinus infection now let's work on your hearing.

Advantage of being treated by a vet: their patients can't tell them what's wrong, so they have to be able to figure it out on their own. How many times have you gone to a people doctor and the first thing they ask is "what's wrong?"

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    interesting that sometimes you can pop off a 30-06 100 yards from a deer and it might run, lookup for a moment or just keep eating on a beat.

I figure a bear may run to the next county from a broken small twig, or if it has it appetite or anger on you a 50 cal is not going to make enough noise.
    If a round form a Barrett .50 BMG hits him in the haid?

He won't NEED to be able hear, then, or ever again.

Even a body shot might do... though if yer only gonna "wing" him?

20 mm Lahti will take a limb clean off. You'd have to know the Finn's and their idea of a "sniper rifle"?

BTW.. only guy I know personally as OWNS a Barrett?

Finnish American! Why was I not surprised!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by awander View Post
    Hey, Bill, a Trooper is a Colt, not a S&W.
    Correct and I have a pair of them in 357 Mag and 22. They look identical unless you look at the bore.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If a round form a Barrett .50 ...
    Have fun lugging one of those to the bear....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    Have fun lugging one of those to the bear....
    You would marry a Barrett, ever you had truck with the Mah Deuce OR tripod OR Ammo cans. Or even Maremount Muffler's pig and something for it to nibble on.

"To" the Bear is only the projectile ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe it was mentioned and I didn't see it but there are no grizzlies in Colorado. Plenty of black bear though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

jess ordered out one of these har bare guns

PK3310 Pedersoli Scout Carbine Kit .45 Percussion

Should be here in a week or so... BP and caps is getting hard to find. I sure hope the bar stay off until I can press some balls. ;-)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post
    jess ordered out one of these har bare guns

PK3310 Pedersoli Scout Carbine Kit .45 Percussion

Should be here in a week or so... BP and caps is getting hard to find. I sure hope the bar stay off until I can press some balls. ;-)
    "This Product Cannot be Shipped to Canada" because the Bears are choking on them after they have et the hunter and putting a strain of the healthcare system?

Bear will press the balls for yah!

Sharps 50-110 Buffalo rifle == Desert Eagle in .50 AE?

Problem? I wear an XXL glove. I am NOT HAPPY with the grip I can relaibly sustain on a DE. Tried one. Rounds are too long. Grip is too deep, fore and aft.

The Megastar is comfy. TWO .45 tactical // +P+ should be as good as ONE .50 AE?

If not, then 13.

Trying to talk meself out of an M1A1 in 6.5 Creedmoor...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"This Product Cannot be Shipped to Canada" because the Bears are choking on them after they have et the hunter and putting a strain of the healthcare system?

Bear will press the balls for yah!

Sharps 50-110 Buffalo rifle == Desert Eagle in .50 AE?

Problem? I wear an XXL glove. I am NOT HAPPY with the grip I can relaibly sustain on a DE. Tried one. Rounds are too long. Grip is too deep, fore and aft.

The Megastar is comfy. TWO .45 tactical // +P+ should be as good as ONE .50 AE?

If not, then 13.

Trying to talk meself out of an M1A1 in 6.5 Creedmoor...
    The Creedmoor has some eye appeal, but the 7.62X 51 serves all practical purposes..

grendel tickles my fancy, and it's just an upper .... ;-)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post
    The Creedmoor has some eye appeal, but the 7.62X 51 serves all practical purposes..

grendel tickles my fancy, and it's just an upper .... ;-)
    Venerable .300 Savage wouldn't still BE here except.. when Orren Bellows hands it to yah, personally, summer of 1961? WITH the 150 yard target he had shot?

I'd probably be bitching the Creedmoor did not hold as well?

I don' NEED this. I had aready started SHEDDING firearms to make my (eventual) Estate simpler to deal with.

This s**t on our streets keeps up? It ain't a "Creedmoor" I might want. Surely not for home defense. That ain't done at no "long range".

"Claymore", maybe? The two-handed kind.

Idiots are too common as are convinced every handgun ever built will MISS every shot out of a full magazine at ten feet.....based off silly movies.

Prolly a harmless atttiude, most gone too lazy to burgle.

More destructive is the same lot believe all they have to do is vote straight Democratic ticket, DJT's head will drop through his arsehole and break his neck, no one will ever have to work ever again, everything will be free, and air travel migrated to "personalized" off the back of heated leather saddles on the pigs as fly the international routes out of AOC's ass.

"Masked". of course. You'd have to know pigs? Constantly getting at her Harlot-Scarlet lipstick, otherwise..

Go figure...

11. Likes CalG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You would marry a Barrett, ...
    There's nowhere to *shoot* the darn thing around here except Camp Smith and you need to "know people" to be allowed on their 1000 m range.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MT6 View Post
    Maybe it was mentioned and I didn't see it but there are no grizzlies in Colorado. Plenty of black bear though.
    Same here and I think there is a real difference.
    Black bears tend to be sort of skittish. Yes even a buck in rut will charge you also but it's so rare and if you sidestep once given the warning all is fine.
    Most of the successful black bear hunters I know just use a 12 gauge slug.
    Rare to just meet one on a trail and they just seem to wander off. As a kid they would often come up to the cabin at night looking for scraps.
    Wandering into the wrong pasture when young and "city slicker" I've been more afraid of a bull cow. These things big and have a attitude.
    Bob

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Wandering into the wrong pasture when young and "city slicker" I've been more afraid of a bull cow. These things big and have a attitude.
    Bob
    STILL a city slicker?

A Bull is male. A cow is female.

The other thing is not a "city slicker". A "slitty licker", rather. Bull DYKE.

Not sure if those "scare off" a Grizzly or not?

15. Likes tdmidget liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

STILL a city slicker?
    A Bull is male. A cow is female.
    Evidently I am and the oops. Cattle would have been better . Cousins always looked down and called me a "city slicker" so it's a lifetime label.
    You have 100% won in making me feel like a dumbshit.
    You have experience, how many rounds from a 9 or 10mm or a 44 mag can a person take and still be shooting back?
    And this just a human, not a bear or bull.
    All fine if in the the just right spot but that does not happen often with the shit in the fan.
    The target range is not the same as real world or times when hunting and that tight group goes out the window very fast when surprise enters the equation... or maybe that's just me and lack of skill.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MT6 View Post
    Wut??

9 pages of goofy advise and commentary on a non existent problem? LOL

I live in griz country and have spent a lot of time out in the wild, the risk of getting attacked by a griz if you have any sense is about the same risk of being attacked by a great white shark in land locked Montana.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

More destructive is the same lot believe all they have to do is vote straight Democratic ticket, DJT's head will drop through his arsehole and break his neck, no one will ever have to work ever again, everything will be free, and air travel migrated to "personalized" off the back of heated leather saddles on the pigs as fly the international routes out of AOC's ass.

"Masked". of course. You'd have to know pigs? Constantly getting at her Harlot-Scarlet lipstick, otherwise..

Go figure...
    Wouldn't do you any harm to be strapped down and have AOC's last speech blasted at you at full volume. You might learn something at the end of it. Or maybe not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How does a thread on bears and pistols get turned around to freshmen representatives? Small time players...

Lipstick on a pig? "aint that a beauty!

Now a black bear can climb a tree in about .02 seconds flat. I watched one do just that only last summer less than 1/4 mile from home.
    Around here, black bear dress out looking like a large german shepard dog. But with the fur, they look large in the woods.
    Two season's ago, a fell clobbered a 400# boar. Not sure what with, but it was not bow or BP ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have told my bear hunting friends that to make it a fair fight you should have two big knives.
    You are smarter and more agile and the bear has more claws. Equal footing and fair fight.
    Do not bother telling me an idiot, they have all done that.

That brings up a sword....or grenades but as I understand a M84 not very effective in the open outdoors and tossing the other type 20 feet away seems not a great idea.
    I do like flare but as said forest fire.

In the lower states what are the odds of encountering an aggressive bear. Do you buy lottery tickets or worry about lightning strikes?
    The wife reads stuff on the net and get crazy at times. I tell her if this a worry do not get in your car and drive it because you will die faster there.
    Bob

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Evidently I am and the oops. Cattle would have been better . Cousins always looked down and called me a "city slicker" so it's a lifetime label.
    You have 100% won in making me feel like a dumbshit.
    Take a number.

The Cousin who bet me I couldn't pee accurately enuf' to hit "that there run of warr over younder" was wrong. I could. Though the wire hit me a lot HARDER! Had *I* not been a city kid? I might have recognized it as an electric cattle fence.

Before it stunted my growth, age five. Thank God in her infinite redundancy it weren't my tongue!

You have experience, how many rounds from a 9 or 10mm or a 44 mag can a person take and still be shooting back?
    Handguns? First one kills 'em, so I guess the answer isn't even "one"?

Bet you are using "the sights"? Those are for long range or the game of "targets on a range".

Out where hostiles or food moves up close and personal, you don't want to do that. Look - or listen - where you want the projectile to impact. Let it happen. It's a coupla million years into the DNA. Don't f**k it up by asking the brain to interfere and go somewhere else to run friggin' spreadsheets. There's no time for that sort of bureaucratic overhead!

The target range is not the same as real world
    The "target range" is for learning to play the game of "shoot at targets on a range". Only. Fun if you like that sort of thing. First time. Maybe. Boring, thereafter.

But that game hasn't got SQRT-FA to do with learning to kill or avoid it.
    Humans are natural "point shooters". With anything. And everything

You ever see peep sights on a rock? Scope sights on a blowgun? Laser sights on a spear? What sort of "sights" are mounted on a softball, baseball, football - darts? Molotov cocktail or frag grenade?

Go off on a honeymoon and "marry" your handgun 'til you are a "point" shooter. Built-in at the "factory". Yah just have to get TF out of its WAY!

Don't ASK how the various human systems connect it to a hit. They just do. Asking only confuses them. Might as well "ask" a hummingbird or a bumblebee how it flies. Poor bastard had to figure it out and explain it, he'd never leave the ground.

Normal vision is good to about 30-35 feet. And then you are out of binocular depth perception. Over 30-35 feet? NOW you can use "sights".

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was thinking a B.A.R. would probably do the job ... and the idiot who got all concerned about bear attacks would deserve the hassle of carrying the thing