What's new
What's new

Gunsmithing School

smith899

Plastic
Very much interested in gunsmithing? Do you want to enroll and take this trade?
Want to become a gunsmith? Well, in order to attain what you want to in gunsmithing, you need to enroll and attend in the best gunsmithing schools. For you to find the best gunsmithing school, please check this website Gunsmithing Schools | How To Become A Gunsmith | Gunsmithing Training

All relevant and important information about gunsmithing are all there.

Thanks. Hope you'll find this helpful.

Just as a note: Government positions in Canada do not except any of the become a gunsmith by mail or internet diplomas as education. Most gun shops are the same. They want the 2-3 Years from an accredited university / trade school and preferably 4 years experience after completion. They also have little or no interest in the week or 2 week Armours courses offered by the manufacturers. They are generally very model specific, outdated and at most cover disassembly and handling. The education they usually ask for here is Pennsylvania Gunsmithing School, Trinidad or The Colorado School of Trades. Military Armours seam to be the only exception and they are very model specific and are all trained in house. I'm not sure what is asked for or required in the USA.

I just completed a week at Trinidad, in the NRA Lab this year.

I recommend this route to anyone with interest that is working a full time job. A search on "NRA gunsmithing" will lead to links to the four schools that participate in the summer program.

Just throwing this out.

If someone was interested in picking up gunsmithing as a hobby or side line of work, are there any "correspondence / internet" programs where one would not need to learn the machining aspect, but just the technical ones?

I'm sure like anything else, hands on is best.

Tom

Just throwing this out.

If someone was interested in picking up gunsmithing as a hobby or side line of work, are there any "correspondence / internet" programs where one would not need to learn the machining aspect, but just the technical ones?

Tom

learning to use all the tools, hand and machine, IS THE TECHNICAL PART. The rest you can get from the owners manual that comes with the gun and a parts schematic.

Just throwing this out.

Tom

Just to add to my previous post. The reason many of us did go to school was SO WE COULD GET THE HANDS ON with some one standing over our shoulders to keep us from making mistakes, wreaking stuff and loosing eyes or fingers. The main problem with the correspondence and book learning is that it really is just an overview. Then you have to go out and learn how to do everything and make all the mistakes in the process. I was luckier than most people in that I did go to school and I was able to spend 8 years in one of the biggest shops in western Canada with two other fully trained gunsmiths. We did all facets of gunsmithing as well as warranty for Remington, Weatherby, Winchester, Ruger, Mossberg, Savage, Perazzi and Kimber. People often think that these learn by reading deals will give them a decoder ring, top secret tricks, or a magic Dr-everything-gonna-be-all-right-wand that they can wave and be blessed by the gods. It simply does not wok that way. You get some one to hold your hand and help you do it a few times until you have it figured out. Or you dive in and screw up again and again until you either quit, go broke or get it figured out.

I have done a couple of the "mail order" courses and found them, at best, somewhat useful.
Don't waste your money on the Pheonix Unversity course, it is a sham!! :mad5::angry:
The machinist courses offered at the local comunity college was much more useful even though it was not firearm related course.
At least this piece of spam was related to the forum :)
JMO,
DC

I for one have used some of the AGI videos for dealing with some guns I was not familiar with and I found them very helpful. I would love to quit my job and spend a few years in college, however, at this point in my life it is just not possible. What are my options?? I can either give up and say " Well, I did not have formal training, so I should not even try" or I can order videos, study books and use some common sense in knowing my limitations. I am considering getting the full AGI gunsmith set, which covers gun systems rather than individual makes and models. It is a fair amount of money, but I am sure cheaper than a college. Better?? Probably not!! But for some of us, it is the only viable option to further our knowledge of guns. If I was a younger man without the financial responsibilities of a family I would certainly look at a Gunsmithing college, if I aspired to pursue gunsmithing as a full time career. The fact remains nothing can take the place of hands on experience, or natural ability.

learning to use all the tools, hand and machine, IS THE TECHNICAL PART. The rest you can get from the owners manual that comes with the gun and a parts schematic.

Just to add to my previous post. The reason many of us did go to school was SO WE COULD GET THE HANDS ON with some one standing over our shoulders to keep us from making mistakes, wreaking stuff and loosing eyes or fingers. The main problem with the correspondence and book learning is that it really is just an overview. Then you have to go out and learn how to do everything and make all the mistakes in the process. I was luckier than most people in that I did go to school and I was able to spend 8 years in one of the biggest shops in western Canada with two other fully trained gunsmiths. We did all facets of gunsmithing as well as warranty for Remington, Weatherby, Winchester, Ruger, Mossberg, Savage, Perazzi and Kimber. People often think that these learn by reading deals will give them a decoder ring, top secret tricks, or a magic Dr-everything-gonna-be-all-right-wand that they can wave and be blessed by the gods. It simply does not wok that way. You get some one to hold your hand and help you do it a few times until you have it figured out. Or you dive in and screw up again and again until you either quit, go broke or get it figured out.

Thanks for the additional info speerchucker30x3.

I have a mill and lathe in my garage, know how to use them but don't want to get into a nightly stand up gig in the garage doing production or some other time constraint machining and was interested in what it would take to come up to speed to do gun smithing. Just now getting back into guns and was curious.

Tom

Gunsmithng School

Areo:

Missed seeing you this year at TSJC. I just got back myself. I had 5 students in my class. Two were repeaters from last year. Either that is a compliment or I am a poor teacher.
The students were outstanding and we all learned a lot. I agree a 5 day class at TSJC is a great learning experience.

I did not stay in the dorm w/o AC. I stayed at the Quality Inn up on top of the pass (by Walmart). I had bears in the dumpster outside my window every night.

I did not spend much time on the Raton side of the mountain due to the fire. I did drive a 250 mile circle around Trinidad. Through the twin Peaks and out east to the Camanchie National Grasslands. Found very few prarrie dogs.

Speedy told me he was giving up the chairmanship of the Summer NRA program after this year. It will be interesting to see who picks up the responsibility for the school.

Later Nat

Last edited:
Areo:

Missed seeing you this year at TSJC. I just got back myself. I had 5 students in my class. Two were repeaters from last year. Either that is a compliment of I am a poor teacher.
The students were outstanding and we all learned a lot. I agree a 5 day class at TSJC is a great learning experience.

I did not stay in the dorm w/o AC. I stayed at the Quality Inn up on top of the pass (by Walmart). I had bears in the dumpster outside my window every night.

I did not spend much time on the Raton side of the mountain due to the fire. I di drive a 250 circle around Trinidad. Through the twin Peaks and out east to the Camanchie national Grasslands. Found very few prarrie dogs.

Speedy told me he was giving up the chairmanship of the Summer NRA program after this year. It will be interesting to see who picks up the responsibility for the school.

Later Nat

Real Life interfered with my initial plans, but I managed to get out for the NRA Lab session. Which I think is a great idea in and of itself. Dave Nolan instructed that class.

As for repeats, we had a man from Kansas in the class that has attended the 1911 session 5 years. I think he worked on 5 or 6 pistols this year, in one way or another.

I got out a day early and made a loop up to Great Dunes and then to Salida and back around through Westcliffe; I had never been down the valley where Westcliffe is located, and I'm glad I went it's a nice place. Maybe retirement nice except for the invasion of leftists. Great Sand Dunes is a beautiful place, I'm glad I went, and I want to go back.

Went up to Cuchara Pass one evening, got there just as a ginormous thunderstorm started.

Maybe I'll see you next year. I noticed that Hamilton Bowen taught a revolver class out your way this year, and that might be a great excuse to go to NC,

The dorm was okay this year, I didn't have to tape the screens up. But, the beds are basically unusable without an extra mattress. The cafeteria was closed, and that didn't go over real well.

I just completed a week at Trinidad, in the NRA Lab this year.

I recommend this route to anyone with interest that is working a full time job. A search on "NRA gunsmithing" will lead to links to the four schools that participate in the summer program.

I have not been to TSJC since graduated.
Is the basketball court still behind the girls dorm at the top of the hill?
I remember there was a Ace hardware store about a block from the campus and that little burger place that made hamburgers the size of a plate!

Here in the UK any Tom Dick and Harry can set up as a gunsmith/riflesmith simply by obtaining a registered firearms dealers licence from the police.
There is no lawful need for any formal trade qualifications and as such we have many so called "riflesmiths" (in title only) who have never picked up a file or switched on a lathe before they started in the rifle building trade.

I prefer to call them rifle builders as their bread and butter trade is putting together a customers chosen selection of components, having amassed enough skill to screwcut a tennon and ream a chamber, some have taught themselves the relevant skills to accurise an action, maybe even manufacture the odd muzzle brake.
The only legal criteria these guys have to work to is that their rifle builds pass our antiquated proof tests.

We have very few gunsmiths/riflemakers who have actually been trained by any of the well known makers here in Britain but even here there trade qualifications are internally phased to suit the kind of work undertaken within that environment.
They will enter the work market with same nationally recognised qualifications as an apprenticed fitter or machinist, in other words there no recognised gunsmithing qualifications in the UK.

The other thing with these non qualified rifle builders is that they make a good living charging $1000 for a rebarreling and anything from $5000 upward for a complete build using a custom action, bearing in mind that some of this price can be attributed to the cost of bringing actions and barrels over from the USA but even so a custom rifle over here made by one of our reputable builders is an expensive undertaking.

We now have more then half a dozen action makers in the UK a couple of which will rival if not better the best the USA can offer but once again price is an overiding factor being aimed very close to the cost of what the best US actions are over here, even though most are of the budget "Remmy" footprint type.

Ian.

It is the same way here in the USA
Even the ones that have taking the class's can be bad. I have found other gunsmith that have never take a class in gunsmith/machine shop are very good. It is more to the person how is doing the work not there education. My self I am a Journeyman Machinist with Union card you can not get this sitting in a class room. Now I am a gunsmith. I do have a degree from Penn Foster in Gunsmithing.

Here in the UK any Tom Dick and Harry can set up as a gunsmith/riflesmith simply by obtaining a registered firearms dealers licence from the police.
There is no lawful need for any formal trade qualifications and as such we have many so called "riflesmiths" (in title only) who have never picked up a file or switched on a lathe before they started in the rifle building trade.

I prefer to call them rifle builders as their bread and butter trade is putting together a customers chosen selection of components, having amassed enough skill to screwcut a tennon and ream a chamber, some have taught themselves the relevant skills to accurise an action, maybe even manufacture the odd muzzle brake.
The only legal criteria these guys have to work to is that their rifle builds pass our antiquated proof tests.

We have very few gunsmiths/riflemakers who have actually been trained by any of the well known makers here in Britain but even here there trade qualifications are internally phased to suit the kind of work undertaken within that environment.
They will enter the work market with same nationally recognised qualifications as an apprenticed fitter or machinist, in other words there no recognised gunsmithing qualifications in the UK.

The other thing with these non qualified rifle builders is that they make a good living charging $1000 for a rebarreling and anything from $5000 upward for a complete build using a custom action, bearing in mind that some of this price can be attributed to the cost of bringing actions and barrels over from the USA but even so a custom rifle over here made by one of our reputable builders is an expensive undertaking.

We now have more then half a dozen action makers in the UK a couple of which will rival if not better the best the USA can offer but once again price is an overiding factor being aimed very close to the cost of what the best US actions are over here, even though most are of the budget "Remmy" footprint type.

Ian.

Last edited:
Well in the same light I can throw a hand painted sign in my window and proclaim myself to be an electrician, machinist, auto mechanic, roofer or whatever. Many of these trades theoreticaly require goverment base qualifications and the purchase of a permit from the city or county before work is started. But if you undercut your LEGALLY working competition, say to hell with the permits and just do it, people will beat a path to your door. Its all relative. Talk to any electrician, carpenter, mason or auto mechanic. They are always whining about some jack-of-all trades that is undercutting them down the block who is operating without permits or operating expenses. I bet half the people on this forum do work on the weekends, working for other people undercutting gunsmiths and machinists and other tradesmen.
Its just a fact of life boys and girls its not limited by location or industry and there is nothing anyone can do about it. I hear people complain about it all the time in my industry and others. I always tell them the same thing. Do what your doing and if you do it well you will probably make a living. If you insist on worrying about what everyone else is doing you will just give yourself ulcers and you won't get any work done. Simple mathematics.

I agree, I have 6 licenses and permits to do gunsmithing and only do gunsmith work no sales of firearms.

Well in the same light I can throw a hand painted sign in my window and proclaim myself to be an electrician, machinist, auto mechanic, roofer or whatever. Many of these trades theoreticaly require goverment base qualifications and the purchase of a permit from the city or county before work is started. But if you undercut your LEGALLY working competition, say to hell with the permits and just do it, people will beat a path to your door. Its all relative. Talk to any electrician, carpenter, mason or auto mechanic. They are always whining about some jack-of-all trades that is undercutting them down the block who is operating without permits or operating expenses. I bet half the people on this forum do work on the weekends, working for other people undercutting gunsmiths and machinists and other tradesmen.
Its just a fact of life boys and girls its not limited by location or industry and there is nothing anyone can do about it. I hear people complain about it all the time in my industry and others. I always tell them the same thing. Do what your doing and if you do it well you will probably make a living. If you insist on worrying about what everyone else is doing you will just give yourself ulcers and you won't get any work done. Simple mathematics.

"Well in the same light I can throw a hand painted sign in my window and proclaim myself to be an electrician, machinist, auto mechanic, roofer or whatever."

Not here in the "lower 48".

Each trade has a licensing board, and a required license.

It is no different for an "electrician" (C14) as it is for a physician or an attorney, although the "licensing board" may be different.

Anyone who "practices a profession" before the public must be licensed by the appropriate Board.

Obviously, gunsmithing is somewhat different at it is regulated by state AND federal agencies, not just state agencies.

It is no different for an "electrician" (C14) as it is for a physician or an attorney, although the "licensing board" may be different.

And no one wires their own basement or garage, or their neighbors basement or ties in a machine for some one without rushing down to city hall and showing them their journeyman ticket and their business license and purchasing the permit to do the work? Never happens huh? I bet there is an electrical cop on every street corner in the USA. Unfortunately here in Canada we don't have the electrical cops and we have guys doing electrical work all the time without the proper permits and and credentials. Those permits ARE required by law here too and there ARE stiff penalties. But every Tom, dick and Harry seams to say to hell with it, I'm a self made electrician. I don't need to pay some jerk $45 an hour and I don't need no stinking permits or college education, any fool can do electrical work. We even have people that make a living here selling drugs, stolen cars and prostitution which is VERY illegal. Believe it or not we really do. And literally thousands of them.
As far as physicians go. I have noticed that when some one says "I broke a screw off in my gun" or "I fried the breaker for the dryer". Then next thing you know is that some joker says I got a power drill, some gnarly drill bits and a case of beer. LETS GO!
But let some one say "I have a toothache or a hot appendix" they tend to have a different point of view. We may be in the wild west up here but most peoples WILDNESS dissapeers when some one comes at them with a 1/4 inch drill or a knive saying "I can do that for half the price, no problem, trust me"!

Back