What's new
What's new

gunsmithing textbooks/resources

Carborundio

Plastic
Hello,
can you suggest me some textbook or research paper or website or whatever source you have at your disposal that can help and guide me in learning gunsmithing?

I'm a chemist and also a DYT hobbyst. I studied some material science so I know the basics of steelmaking but I wanted to find a starting Point to learn gunsmithing, with an emphasis on practical applications. Something that does not waste too much time on theory and has a more practical approach with examples.

Thank you

Can you give us a better idea of what you are looking for? Repair, metalwork, design, etc. The field is wide and most of the books on the subject are older. Try googling for gunsmithing books; there are a number that are online.

The subject of gunsmithing is so broad and specialized that your request for texts makes for a convoluted answer. The above inquiry as to your area of interest is potentially defining. Do you want to build rifles, repair firearms, re-finish stocks, mount iron sights or telescopes? There is work to be done on pistols, revolvers, shotguns, and others ranging from cleaning to major repair or modification. Many of the texts written on the subject are old, and to some degree, out of date. I would suggest that you use ABEbooks.com to search for books on gunsmithing. If you are interested in machine work, look for L.H. Sparey's book, "The Amateur's Lathe". Brownells is also a good source for smithing info, if you can foot the cost. Good Luck, and Regards, Clark

"The Modern Gunsmith" Two volumes by James Howe.

One of the best gunsmithing books.

The subject of gunsmithing is so broad and specialized that your request for texts makes for a convoluted answer. The above inquiry as to your area of interest is potentially defining. Do you want to build rifles, repair firearms, re-finish stocks, mount iron sights or telescopes? There is work to be done on pistols, revolvers, shotguns, and others ranging from cleaning to major repair or modification. Many of the texts written on the subject are old, and to some degree, out of date. I would suggest that you use ABEbooks.com to search for books on gunsmithing. If you are interested in machine work, look for L.H. Sparey's book, "The Amateur's Lathe". Brownells is also a good source for smithing info, if you can foot the cost. Good Luck, and Regards, Clark
I like to build things from scratch. So I first have to properly learn how guns work internally (I got the basics but need more), then I need to learn the practical techniques on how to actually create a barrel, trigger, stock and all the components and then how to assemble them.

I really enjoy having at my disposal just a few scraps of metal, a pipe and a saw and build rudimental but functional objects. In short, I like MacGyvering things starting from 0.

So to answer your question, I think the closest answer is building rifles. I'm not really interested in the scopes. I want to learn the theory behind all the modifications inside the barrels or why some have channels inside etc and what helps to prevent malfunction or to dimish wear or increase the Speed of the bullet or dimish recoil.

The Point is that I really don't know where to start. So I'd need a more general text to give me the basics so then I can answer your question more accurately.

I'll make sure to read the introduction books suggested by the other users in the meanwhile, thank you for your time.

Back