What's new

Gunstock Blank

Mike H

Aluminum
Who is the best company or individual to
purchase a double barrel tiger stripe
gunstock blank from.
This is for a blackpowder double barrel
shotgun that i want a pretty fancy stock for.
Thanks, Mike

good evening.

i have spent about 30 minutes looking for a link to a place in Oregon that sounded promising to me. the guy there sent me some pictures of his blanks. nice stuff.

i haven't found the link yot but i will keep looking. sorry about that.
bill

Curly maple? Try:
Track of the Wolf -
18308 Joplin St. NW
Elk River, MN 55330-1773
TrackOfTheWolf

[This message has been edited by GeneT (edited 11-23-2002).]

[This message has been edited by GeneT (edited 11-23-2002).]

I have purchased from Wrights and found them to be up front and honest. The wood sent was as represented. All in all it was a very easy, pleasant experience. Mike

Thanks i will contact Wrights. I had already
found them but i am always concerned about
some of these companys following through.
I have bought a lot from Track Of The Wolf
but i really don't like to have money tied
up with them for months on end before i
receive some of their items(old fashion or
just a tight a**?). Track is a good company to deal with.
Thanks, Mike

Doyle Wright is excellent to work with but keep in mind his wood is not dry. Ask him when it was cut. Probably within the last 6 months. You want it dry at least 3 years. I have quite a bit of Doyle's wood which I have had for 5 to 10 years and is dry and cured, which is important. Tell him you talked to me (Lee Helgeland) and discuss it with him. Call me (406-837-2041) or e-mail if you are interested. I bought a lot of wood from Doyle some years ago, it's cured, and I'm selling various grades at some very attractive prices. Some is extremely pretty tiger tail and I can sell for $150 plus or minus. It is not particularly hard so doesn't work for my rifles but should work fine for your project.

Lee

Uncured maple blanks coming out of Oregon are going to be bigleaf maple, not the sugar maple (also called hard or rock maple) that is traditional for gun stocks. I don't have access to my wood properties references right now, but I am pretty sure that bigleaf maple is rather soft by comparison. Kim Steiner

Thanks for the info but i bought a couple of blanks from Tiger Hunt and am pleased with the quality. I was concerned that wrights blanks weren't thick enough or wide enough for a double barrel black powder shotgun.

Mike

I don't know if they carry Maple but Presliks (sp?) in California has been around forever and has great walnut blanks. They advertise in shotgun news.

Everytime I think of blanks for making something, I can't help but think about the guy out in Arkansas that has a 4' by 12" by 20' long piece of black walnut cut and laying in his front yard. Makes an interesting conversation piece if you know your wood (which I don't)
Had to be one heck of a tree. David from Jax

Back