What's new
What's new

Haas TL-1 or TL-2 lathe (post 2018 upgrades) for barrel chambering and threading

Kiwi 'smith Dean

Cast Iron
Hi Guys,

just wondering if there was anyone on here that is using one of these Haas CNC lathes for barrel threading and chambering through the headstock, or muzzle threading only between centers?

Just looking at options to automate and speed up some of my gunsmithing tasks that are creating significant backlog here.

(Note: I do own a couple of other Fanuc-controlled CNC machines for parts manufacture, so this machine would be pretty much dedicated for gunsmithing/barrel work only.)

If anyone has used a later model HAAS TL lathe (that has the new frame design with the z-axis ball screw located between the linear guides, and not mounted off on the side of the machine) I would be interested in your feedback on how it all works for you.

Thanks, Dean.

I don't do barrel work on it but my shop purchased a TL1 for prototype work. One of my biggest issues is the steady rest uses the same "ways" as the tailstock which stop well short of the headstock. This design means pretty much anything you want to use the steady for needs to stick out of the chuck at least 14 inches. This probably wouldn't be an issue for rifle barrels but has caused me a few headaches.

Unless you really need to work between centers, i.e. profiling, I'd consider going straight to a real turning center.

Thanks, yes i do have a 'real turning center' already..... :D

One of the uses was for barrel threading between centres to suit the over-barrel suppressors which are a common job here. Also, the very short headstock/spindle looks promising for those applications of working through the headstock.

Thanks, yes i do have a 'real turning center' already..... :D

One of the uses was for barrel threading between centres to suit the over-barrel suppressors which are a common job here. Also, the very short headstock/spindle looks promising for those applications of working through the headstock.

Yes, that makes complete sense. The newer TL series would probably be a good fit, although I have no experience with them.

Back