What's new
What's new

hammer repair

danrud

Plastic
I have a early 70's 357 mag revolver and the top of the hammer is broken and missing a safety mechanism. They made the hammer with and without the safety so I'm confident it isn't needed.

I want to have the top of the hammer TIG welded to fill in material and then shape and finish it and polished or re-blued.

The questions I have are I need to confirm the material of the hammer? Can it be welded?

Given it's value (considering it's in good shape) I'm not sure I'd go the TIG build up, except as a last resort. The 70's and 80's conceived some pretty poor metallurgy, but I wouldn't expect that from Hammerli. That type of gun is a little out of my AO, but I think I'd look at acquiring a new hammer, or having one made before I started stacking filler on an unknown alloy. Hopefully someone with more experience in that area will chime in with better advice than I can give. I may also be picturing the damage as far worse than it is.

Also, if you re-blue something that has filler material added in, even if it's homogeneous, you will get color variation.

Back