What's new
What's new

He wants to ban our milling machines

Complete idiots in congress - nothing new here. :o They have no clue about running businesses or banks yet they make policy regarding both, same for trade and manufacturing. Oh, and law enforcement, can't forget that one.

The articles was a little incomplete as you don't need a mill or a drill even to make firearms. If one was diligent enough a file(s) would be all you need. Watch some videos of people making firearms sitting on the streets of third world countries it's educational as well as humbling.

JMHO

-Ron

Complete idiots in congress - nothing new here. :o They have no clue about running businesses or banks yet they make policy regarding both, same for trade and manufacturing. Oh, and law enforcement, can't forget that one.

The articles was a little incomplete as you don't need a mill or a drill even to make firearms. If one was diligent enough a file(s) would be all you need. Watch some videos of people making firearms sitting on the streets of third world countries it's educational as well as humbling.

JMHO

-Ron

Complete idiots for sure. And they aren't even the "useful idiots". That takes several more degrees of political BS to attain that status.

Frizzen still works fine - never was near a lathe or mill. You can tell by my sloppy printing that this was way over fifty years ago

This is what happens with a hack saw and an assortment of files - from O1 tool steel

Frizzen.jpg

Looking at YT it seems there are several companies selling 80% kits, shipping UPS, that can be assembled in about an hour on the kitchen table with nothing more than a drill, maybe a file, and some sand paper. Seems questionable, not going to include a link.

Few years ago when my brother was a working geologist there was a temporary diesel fuel shortage with higher diesel prices. One congressman mas going to write a bill directing oil companies to drill more diesel wells!

I have cows smarter than that and no one has ever accused a cow of being smart. Most important asset of a politician is an ego as big as Texas. Does not matter what side they are on EGO is the big thing.

Looking at YT it seems there are several companies selling 80% kits, shipping UPS, that can be assembled in about an hour on the kitchen table with nothing more than a drill, maybe a file, and some sand paper. Seems questionable, not going to include a link.

Has to be some form of insanity involved?

AR is a silly-complex bit of kit.

Stens, "grease guns", Owen carbines, Shpagins, fast cycling shotguns?

Every one of them so dirt simple that whole daggone NATIONS built them in stunning unit-count at low cost in crude facilities staffed by near-zero experienced kids, house wives, seniour-citizen hands and minds when their collective backs were ACTUALLY up against the wall.

For blood and guts real. Not in no damned comic books.

What TF are these fools smokin', anyway?

So, on the whole 80% thing. Go find one in stock. There’s practically nothing. It’s crazy. One fella said he’s been backlogged since April. You can’t tell me all those sales are to people who enjoy building things and have a genuine interest in firearms for defense, shooting sports, plinking, 2nd amendment stretching, etc. I’m not scared of the guy with 50 guns, but I’m terrified of the fella with one gun.

I’m 100% on board, 2nd amendment flag waver, and hell I’ve made an 80% receiver. Regardless, the existence of “ghost guns” tells me two things. 1) there’s a lot of rules about buying handguns which “ghost guns” dodge way too easily that there is no doubt it’s a way criminals obtain firearms, and 2) if agencies have allowed such loopholes to exist, the underlying system is probably fairly useless anyways. My vote would be to trash the system altogether, but that would probably make things worse.

Whatever the case, they’ll meet the same end of the barrel whether they come for the guns or the mills.

A smart dude said something about if we want to solve immigration problems, we need to help impoverish countries help themselves where they are so they don’t need to immigrate. Well, if we want to solve gun violence, we need address the heart of the matter, not clip it’s toenails.

I dunno what is going on in our country any more. I moved to far western Oregon as a young man and attempted to live in town. Couldn't do it and finally gave up and bought a little acreage back home. Idiot neighbors, idiot co-workers, idiot drivers, idiot managers. Everyone seemed determined to achieve some level of an advanced life form. Now the wife and I are getting fenced, and we are gonna get critters. So I am gonna be killing livestock and butchering it for my own table once again. This hasn't changed since Adam. If you would eat, something has to die. Pull a plant, or put down a critter, it is all the same. Just because you are not doing your own killing don't mean it isn't going on. How do people rationalize their way around this, and manage to convince themselves their sanitized lifestyle is real? I do not get it. Guns and hunting have been part of my life practically since birth, I would have it no other way.

So, on the whole 80% thing.....
Confused on the whole 80% thing as a machinist.
If capable with machine tools why buy such?
Sure it must be so much more effort to just start with a raw block but the love is in doing the work and doing it right.
An 80% seems like cheating.

(Can not read the OP link and no I'm not doing as asked, Could bring it on the wife's machine as she is all fine with such poking and probing :eek:)
Bob

Confused on the whole 80% thing as a machinist.
If capable with machine tools why buy such?
Sure it must be so much more effort to just start with a raw block but the love is in doing the work and doing it right.
An 80% seems like cheating.

(Can not read the OP link and no I'm not doing as asked, Could bring it on the wife's machine as she is all fine with such poking and probing :eek:)
Bob

An AR lower "from raw material" is not a trivial task if you need only one or two. There are tutorials on line that describe the process step by step, and are very good!

But the tooling to thread for the butt stock/spring tube takes more than the the 80% lower costs. The purchase avoids this troublesome tooling requirement.

I do see an issue with the available "jig kits" that reduce the conversion into drill press and router mechanic work, but a lower is NOT a rifle, even if the BATF says it is. One still needs a lot of "stuff" to make a working fire arm.

With the "shall not be infringed" clause applied to it's intended meaning. There should be NO limits on any level of completion.

Building is FUN, The results may last many a lifetime...

California 10 round mag limit ruled unconstitutional in the last few days....As to machines ,the Blair Labor government in Britain was planning on licensing lathes and mills ,but pulled their heads in when informed they would have to license just about every metalworking machine ,totalling in the millions......After all ,in the PNG Highlands the locals make deadly guns from no more than a length of stolen waterpipe and some bits of steel from a wrecked car......they also make their deadly bush knives from the spring leaves of wrecked trucks ......lots of wrecks in the Highlands.

An AR lower "from raw material" is not a trivial task if you need only one or two. There are tutorials on line that describe the process step by step, and are very good!

But the tooling to thread for the butt stock/spring tube takes more than the the 80% lower costs. The purchase avoids this troublesome tooling requirement.

I do see an issue with the available "jig kits" that reduce the conversion into drill press and router mechanic work, but a lower is NOT a rifle, even if the BATF says it is. One still needs a lot of "stuff" to make a working fire arm.

With the "shall not be infringed" clause applied to it's intended meaning. There should be NO limits on any level of completion.

Building is FUN, The results may last many a lifetime...

This. Also I would like to say to the ATF and FBI that I lost all my "ghost guns" is a horrible boating accident on the Tennessee river.

Build guns, and when those are done build more. If local politics don't like it, get licensed and build a powder or a primer mill. It isn't like the anti gunners know anything, or are especially polite to us.

Back