What's new
What's new

Help with Carcano rebarrel to 7.62x39

Thunderin300

Plastic
Let me start by saying, that altough I've ran a lathe a bit I am far from being a machinist. That being said I've always been intrigued and impressed by the machinists I have known and worked with.

Now on to my problem. Years ago I aquired a Carcano Cavalry Carbine. Other than having 2 boxes through it, it has lived untouched in the basement. Then I started to read of the conversions to 7.62x39 and got the itch to do something with the gun that was just taking up space.

After much research, I picked up an Enfield No1MkIII barrel, as that seems to be one of the better options for the conversion. Then came the calls to countless gunsmiths who all shut me down on the conversion, no one will take on this job. And I know a few of you here have done it.

So I was hoping to get some help from you guys here on the board. I live in SE MI (Just outside Detroit). I am willing to travel reasonable distances, ie less the 100mi. (give or take) to have you help me with this conversion if you dont have the proper FFL. A plus would be if you would allow me to help/work on the conversion. As stated above, I have played with a lathe a bit during down time at a previous job, and tend to be a quick learner.

I can pay some cash for services, or I have various gun parts for trade, or provide the cigars or adult beverages of your choice for your help.

Thanks guys,

Mark

If that is the old 7.35 with the safety that de-cocked the bolt with a big thumb pad at the rear of the bolt. Stop and rethink this as I had one of those 50+ years ago and they were known for bolt failures then. I sold mine and the next owner had the bolt fail without injury luckily.That said the rifle was a good fit for me at 14,and seemed to be pretty accurate
John

I have serious doubts that it would be successful. The 7.62X39 is MUCH shorter than the 6.5X52. Not just the case length but the long round nose bullet projected quite a ways. There is about .800 difference in length. I have a Carcano and it certainly is not a desirable action. A conversion that gave feeding trouble due to length would be frustrating. keep it as a curiousity or sell and get something suitable.

It kind of depends on your goals here, whether just to have a shootable rifle in a new caliber or to go through the process of the conversion for your own personal satisfaction. Because of the difference in cartridge lengths, you will have another set of problems to solve in addition to replacing the barrel and rechambering.

I would be surprised if you find anyone who has made this conversion, and it would be something that takes a while so leaving it with someone without an FFL would not be a good idea. Since you have found that professionals don't want to take the job, it sounds like you are going to have to do it yourself. Which may not be all bad as there will be plenty of opportunities to learn and it seems to have little value to you so its loss wouldn't cause large amounts of gnashing of teeth or money.

The rebarreling part shouldn't be too difficult and you would have a shootable rifle at that point but getting it to feed from the magazine and eject cartridges would be more of a challenge.

Good luck.

I like the idea as it will be a fun/unique project with an interesting outcome. I think it would make a handy truck gun in a cheap/readily available caliber. As for feeding I've seen stuff done with delrin that I can epoxy in myself. And the reasonable travel distance was to cover just incase a ffl was unavailable, I could take the parts with me and make a couple of trips if needed.

Last edited:
Carcano to 7,62x39..rescue from Down Under....

Firstly, what is the collector value of your Carcano? Mostly a lot more than a Bubba-ed sporter. Unless you can revert to the pre-conversion status when you want to sell it. ( ie, keep all the parts, an don't butcher the stock.). A Butchered, converted Carcano will only ever fetch a $100 if that....

Next, the process, of conversion, is simple enough for the DIY enthusiast ( if you give it to someone else to do, They MUST have an FFL---no buts about it...YOU don't need an FFL to work on your own guns for yourself.

IN Australia, many Range clubs have a Carcano or two converted to 7,62x39 for the "occasional" shooters.

Process: Get good condition No1 mark III barrel in .303, remove sights etc.

The Chamber of a .303 , in its frontal area ( Neck, shoulder and part of body) is almost exactly the same as the dimensions of the 7,62x39...hence NO chamber reamer required.

Cut off the Threaded end of the barrel, just the threads...in fact I part-off the excess, and leave just one turn of thread, to adjust headspace later.
Then turn down tapered Shank of barrel to make a threadable area for the Carcano threads ( Take diameter from Carcano barrel, thread is 14 TPI, Whitworth (55 degree) Form ( ie, same as Enfield, but different Barrel diameter). Re-thread to Carcano dimensions, and try fit. One can then "face off" barrel face and thread shoulder to get correct headspace. YOU probably will NOT get the Sight fixing slots in the barrel to line up properly

That is basically all there is to it. As a DIY project, all that is needed is a Southbend Lathe or similar, and all the operations can be done. Any final fitting of Bolt-face clearances to barrel can be done with a file and diligent scraping.

As to safety, the Carcano action ( front locking) is as safe as any Mauser, within the Carcano's pressure range ( 45,000 PSI). Carcanos were converted to 7,9mm Mauser Post-war for export to the Middle East as training rifles, without any damage. The Germans (Krieghoff) converted some in 1945 to 7,9, as a Police rifle, also without incident.

The problem with the lug on the safety giving way, is due to (a) worn parts (b) Pierced primers (c) oversized Firing Pin hole, and other factors, usually all in combination in the one gun.

The defect mentioned above is NOT an occurrence in general with Carcanos,
But a "One off" which scares the horses and the ignorant. And as most of the Carcanos sold in the USA since 1950s are new or almost new (Certainly Arsenal Checked in the 1946-55 period) The " safety catch failure" is a very rare occurrence.

Before proceeding, though, consider the rifle's collectability factor, and the ability to source new 6,5 ammo (Grafs) and also reloading components ( also Grafs and Hornady) to make accurate 6,5 ammo suitable fort both Target and Hunting use.

A photo of your "Carbine" would be of use, as there are some 10-15 "Carbines" in the Carcano Line up, with varying values, from barely $100 to over $1,000. Not including Importer cut-downs (Bubbas) and Aftermarket "Bubbas).

The .303/7,62x39 barrel conversion will fit any of them, as the Action parts are identical.

For functioning, you will still need the 6-round clip to load the conversion properly, with a split magazine filler to feed the shorter cartridge; single round in chamber is not an option, as the extractor will break trying to "over-ride" the cartridge rim, especially steel cases. The Carcano feed system is a parallel to the Mauser "Guided feed" system, where the rim of the case feeds up UNDER the Extractor claw as it proceeds out of the mag and into the chamber.

Now if you still wish to proceed, then if your Carcano is even slightly "Collectible" go look for a cheap, Bubbatized (Cut down stock and barrel Gun,) "Improved" by Bubba from a $500 collectible to a $75 truck gun,
and you can go from there without qualms. You can even sell off the collectible ( at a correct price) to fund the other ( 7,62x39) project.

A properly researched and described Carcano will nowadays get good money on the various arms auction sites.

BTW, when you have built the 7,62x39, remember to always wash out the barrel after using Milsurp ( Soviet/Chinese etc) ammo...it is Highly primer corrosive.

Hope this helps...
Regards,

Doc AV

AV Ballistics Film Ordnance & Technical Services
Down Under.

Doc,

I was hoping you would chime in, as I have seen in other forums you seem to be the guru on this subject. I have the bareel needed. The problem is I got a little ahead of my self in terms for prepping for the conversion. I sandblased and repainted the barreled action, filled in the groove for the bayonet, and repainted the stock. So I am pretty sure i killed and collectors value on the rifle.

I happened to remember a buddy of mine thats a machinist that lives a couple of miles away. I shot him an email with your description of what to do. With any luck he will let me rent time on his lathe, and supervise my actions as to not ruin anything, and I can still take the parts home at night to get around the whole FFL thing; which I am well versed on, and do not want to test the waters LOL.

Thanks again guys,

Mark

Wish I could help you out but I don't live in S.E. Michigan anymore !!!!
I rebarreled a Carcano to 7.62x39 using a new Chinese SKS/AK barrel. Those barrels have a 19mm shank which is smaller than the usual Euro 23mm shank AK barrel.

The shank was threaded to 3/4 UNF (3/4-16) and the toasty old Carcano barrel chamber stub was bored and tapped to 3/4-16 UNF in the lathe (a chinese commie lathe at that). The 19mm barrel was the screwed in to headspace properly and a bit of silver braze (60% silver stuff) was put on the interface out of sight.

All I had was the old (non-collectable) Carcano action and put it on a nice walnut Fajen manlicher-style carbine stock. Also added a custom butter-knife bolt handle.

The .303 Enfield barrel mod is very interesting. I may try that one day.

Gary in AZ

i have done a few of the carcanos 6.5 / 7.35 as far as the action same thing why i like useing the carcano if they have been cut up there cheep and the bolt face fits the 7.62 round down side the ones i did were all single shot and its hard to install a scope on . this is how i did the one i did i used pin in type sks barrels as i pick up some new ones years ago at $3 @ there apox. 3/4" at the rear would single point thread it to 20 tpi now all of the guns i did this to were socalled sporter types with bad barrels next i would remove the barrel and cut it off aprox. 1-1/2" from the rear then bore it out and thread it to 3/4" x 20 tpi now on the first few i would use a lock nut like the savage 340 and 110 but now i just install the org. barrel stub in the action and then i take the 7.62 barrel and put some of the locktight bearing set slip fit that will take up to a .015 gap on the threads and work it in and out so i know all of the treads are covered then with the barrel in the stub put a round on the bolt [no firing pin assy at this time] them i screw in the barrel tell it just takes up the headspace and i clamp the barrel in a vice with the muzzel pointed upand let it set for a day or two [after it sets it will not move] next to make it feed [one round] i take i peace of delren and mill a round angeld slot so when the round is set in it the round will be just under the extractor but just above the bottom of the bolt face so that when you close the bolt it will feed the round up and under [behind] the extractor and ramp it up [feed] in to the chamber thats how i have done it and it has worked for me i hope you can find someting out of my bad grammer and speeling that will work for you and i won't go in to all the 45 acp's i have done on lot of other action along with the carcano after opening the bolt face a bit

Thanks for all the latest crop of info guys! now just to find someone to help me do the work or will ad FFL to do the work. I have the parts just need the lathe!

You guys rock

I forgot one of my old neighbors is a machinist. Pulled the barrel off the carcano and took it and the enfield barrel. Told home to make the enfield barrel look like the carcano. He said no sweat. It'll take him a couple of weeks to get to the job, then back to the smith for rebarrel and checking headspace and repark.

I forgot one of my old neighbors is a machinist. Pulled the barrel off the carcano and took it and the enfield barrel. Told home to make the enfield barrel look like the carcano. He said no sweat. It'll take him a couple of weeks to get to the job, then back to the smith for rebarrel and checking headspace and repark.

I'm sure he'll appreciate your posting that here when the ATF comes knocking.:crazy:

Back