What's new
What's new

Help me develop rotating / sequantial push-rod trigger-system for 3 barrels - Airsoft

swatti

Plastic
Noooope, not a gun from "back to the future" but a toy-gun. Airsoft gun to be precise.

Please correct me if my terms are wrong. My knowledge of real guns is limited.

First things first, its a "shotgun" using replica-shells that trigger when the firing-cap is pressed. The cap is actually a flat button about 6-8mm wide. Its quite hard to press so you need lever-action to push it, springloaded hammer would simply complicate the system and is not needed.

Shop-image if the replica-shells:
http://www.airsoftonlineshop.com/im...oft_Acc_shotgun_CO2_shells_PPS_SS_12GA_03.jpg

Then theres the fun part. THREE barrels and ONE trigger will have to fire each of the three barrels in sequence. Trigger will be lifted between shots and at that point should cycle to fire the next barrel.

The dept/distance of the push doenst need to be longer than 5-6mm. The push-resistance is a bit heavy but you dont need to push it button very deep to trigger the shell.

It would be best if each trigger-pull simply cycles each, lets call em "hammer rods" when trigger is pushed. Only springs are return-springs for the rods and the trigger itself.

The three barrels will be mounted in allmost side-by-side with one pair being a bit loose from each other. So the trigger mechanism could be a "rotary" shape.

Most likely much of the components will be 3D printed, that means plastic. Take that into considoration.
The gun will NOT be subjected to ANY recoil or pressure. The trigger-pull will be the only force, and the largest the gun will be subjected to.

So, did that make any sense? If not, dont worry, happens quite often with me. Ask and i shall translate.

EDIT:

Found a nifty shooter. A 357 COP derringer. Has a unique rotating trigger-system.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYTjLLI1Ors

I need something like that. But not "striking" hammer, instead, just a push.

Last edited:
You are probably not going to get much of a response on this as it is kind of out of the common flow but pictures might help.

Are the actual barrels in a triangle and are they to rotate? If so it is going to be extraordinarily complex to do the actuation mechanically. Solenoids and contacts (to fire in sequence as they move past a point) might work. In case it might be food for thought, here's a ridiculous project that my son thought up and that he and I built together- a MAPP gas fueled tater-tot gattling gun:
The Uber Tuber Gatling Gun - YouTube

So, the first half of the trigger pull rotates the barrel, and the second half actuates the firing of the 'shell'. Barrel rotation might use the mechanism in the Cop Derringer video, and a separate linkage does the pushing. Time delay achieved by length of parts and trigger throw length. Trigger could slide in a linear fashion, or be pivoted at top to travel in an arc. I could see mechanisms for each.

If you put finger rings on your trigger, you can probably eliminate springs. Trigger would be push/pull instead of push only. In fact, you could divide the tasks and have barrels rotate on pull, and fire on push.

Don't know if you have a CAD system, but if you settle in with Fusion 360 for a week or two it would probably model and animate this, and for not much dough is you're a casual user.

Chip

The easiest way to do it is to have a linkage to the firing cap stationary barrel.

Arrange the linkages so that the ends that you press on are arranged in an arc. Then it's a simple task to create a rotating disk that positions a connecting link behind one of the 3 linkages at all times.

When the trigger is pulled, a pawl rotates the disk. The rest of the trigger travel pushes forward on a "hammer" that will bear upon the linkage, thus triggering the firing cap behind the linkage.

Dan

Back