What's new
What's new

I am new here and learning gunsmithing have a question Please Help

Gunslinger1

Plastic
My name is Justin and I am currently a student at Sonoran Desert Institute(SDI) but live in North Carolina. One of my instructor's gave us an assignment to ask people in a forum about what type of wrong terminology for describing the problem that they are having with there gun. So as you may know not everyone knows the proper terminology and so they may use other terms or slang to describe what is going on with their weapon. This is my assignment: Choose three of the following malfunctions and list colloquial, lay-person, or “slang” terms used to communicate them. For each lay-person’s term, explain why someone might describe a malfunction that way.

● failure to fire

● failure to extract

● failure to eject

● failure to cock

● failure to feed

● failure to lock

● failure of safety mechanism/mechanical safety

I look forward to your responses and thank you in advance :)

Fella came into the shop with a Lee Enfield wrapped in newspaper ....He say "The rejector is broke ,and a shell is stuck in the gun...need ya to you fix it."....Anyway ,seems the bolthead is blown out of the gun ,bolt split and bent,reciever cracked at the locking lugs .....How?....well ,maybe he might have shot out a stuck patch......No worries,any repair on a Lee Enfield is $20,which coincidentally is the price of a surplus gun from the rack.

Failure to lock was called 'not in battery' in the .mil. You could have an 'out of battery' round that could still fire, usually catastrophically.

Failure to cock might lead to 'hammer follow' firing, which can cause a 'runaway' condition where the gun empties itself.

'Cook off' firing is a term for weapon so hot, a chambered round will go off by itself from the heat--this can also cause a runaway situation. Very bad for an open bolt design, as it is probably firing out of battery.

'Hang fire' is a round that doesn't go off when the primer is struck, but might go off seconds after pulling the trigger.

I'm all cases, except the failure to fire and maybe the failure to cock, they say the gun jams.

--
Pat Jones
Firestone CO

One I have seen repeatedly, specially in movies, is that someone pulls an automatic pistol and it fails to fire. They say it jammed. How can it on the first shot?

Bill

Failure to lock was called 'not in battery' in the .mil. You could have an 'out of battery' round that could still fire, usually catastrophically.

Failure to cock might lead to 'hammer follow' firing, which can cause a 'runaway' condition where the gun empties itself.

'Cook off' firing is a term for weapon so hot, a chambered round will go off by itself from the heat--this can also cause a runaway situation. Very bad for an open bolt design, as it is probably firing out of battery.

'Hang fire' is a round that doesn't go off when the primer is struck, but might go off seconds after pulling the trigger.

Those be professional terms, not lay mans.... Read the OP!

All my last lot of surplus 303 ammo was hangfires ,or no fires.....Its quite funny how quick everyone at the range cottons on to hangfires,and clears a space around you.....as if a hangfire is going to blow up the gun........The longest "hang",I would estimate was something like 3 seconds ,but ya dont open the bolt when youre expecting a fire.......I always recock if possible,and fire a second time......this eliminates any possibility of a long hangfire going off.

All my last lot of surplus 303 ammo was hangfires ,or no fires.....Its quite funny how quick everyone at the range cottons on to hangfires,and clears a space around you.....as if a hangfire is going to blow up the gun........The longest "hang",I would estimate was something like 3 seconds ,but ya dont open the bolt when youre expecting a fire.......I always recock if possible,and fire a second time......this eliminates any possibility of a long hangfire going off.

Following one's shot pays off when the round doesn't go off as expected.

Flint lock and wheel lock will teach a thing or two regarding expectations.

Fusse!

Fella came into the shop with a Lee Enfield wrapped in newspaper ....He say "The rejector is broke ,and a shell is stuck in the gun...need ya to you fix it."....Anyway ,seems the bolthead is blown out of the gun ,bolt split and bent,reciever cracked at the locking lugs .....How?....well ,maybe he might have shot out a stuck patch......No worries,any repair on a Lee Enfield is $20,which coincidentally is the price of a surplus gun from the rack.

That must have been fifty years ago.

I had an individual ask for my gunsmithing expertise when his 9mm pistol wouldn't fire.
I was kind. I helped. And got him some professional help.

"Doesn't work" = "Disengage the safety"

Back