What's new
What's new

Iver Johnson Model X 22 cal.

restore49

Aluminum
Know this is a long shot - my neighbor would like me to find or make the missing extractor. Any pict. or measurements would be appreciated. Thanks Bob

The only other place to posibly find one would be to look on Gunbroker.com, I think they have a wanted section.
E-bay has a wanted section.
You can post in there and cross your fingers that someone has what you need.

I am not familiar with the model X,but I have an Iver Johnson 7 shot 22 semi auto.If it would help I could probably measure the extractor on it.Let me know......Jim

Mr. Murdock - Mr. Ciampi :
Thank you both , the semi would not be the same - did receive some info that I hope will give me what I need to machine up a replacement??? Bob

IIRC made one long ago. Believe it is a half disc on sliding bar which is pulled back by bolt. If this is the case i made 2 parts using the reciver as a guide. I turned a small disc drilled it and chambered for the rim then cut in half and silver soldered to the operating bar. Lots of work for a inexpensive .22. Also the first part to break on originals. good luck.

IIRC made one long ago. Believe it is a half disc on sliding bar which is pulled back by bolt. If this is the case i made 2 parts using the reciver as a guide. I turned a small disc drilled it and chambered for the rim then cut in half and silver soldered to the operating bar. Lots of work for a inexpensive .22. Also the first part to break on originals. good luck.

Sounds right, I've got a model 2-x patent 1 673 666.

Photo attached. There is a half disk at the front, and a ramp at the rear. It is 1.87" from the back of the disk to the ramp. The top of the ramp is 0.065 high, and about 0.185" from the retaining plate on the bottom of the receiver. It just has to slide in the groove on the bottom of the bolt, catch the end of the groove and stay in the groove when the bolt is closed. Not too critical.

ij2x.jpg

Last edited:
Tme is a wonderful thing, it aids thinking. That 1.87" should match the groove in the bolt to the turndown groove. The 1.87" is the measurement to front vertical side of the ramp, the rear of the ramp is angled <45deg to allow the bolt to be installed. Again, not critical. Looking carefully at the photo you can see that the rear sits lower in the groove, whilst the front moon is full size and can accurately hold the cartridge in position. I think this is critical for the accuracy of the rifle. I have an old anchutz with a (worn) mauser style bolt, it shoots great with the magazine in, but as soon as the front section of the bolt is unsupported ( mag out ), accuracy is variable. You don't have this problem with the IJ, just the bolt face, half moon and the rest of the receiver which is well supported. The X series, including the 2X were known as accurate rifles with good barrels and were manufactured for many years. They are cheap because many were made.

I can make additional measurements if you want, but not prepared to disassemble the action.

My 2-x shoots well, it aint no target rifle, but bunnies should stand to the rear if they wish to survive.

so with the benefit of more time and thinking, what I was trying to say is that the head support provided by the half moon is critical, the rear portion just needs to float and provide enough clearance for the bolt to be removed/installed. This leads me to believe that the float is provided by relieving the lower rear portion of the extractor, but I have not measured this.

It is really important that we capture this information in the digital media, with the limited publication of hard copy books and the unfortunate (forseen but never acted on) death of the gurus of this game all that is left must be recorded. I encourage everyone to add what they know to every thread they can.

drawing Iver Johnson model X extractor  b 3-4-2018.jpg

My brother just bought a model X without an extractor. I have a model X so I made a drawing. He is a great machinist, but I don't think he is off the dime yet.
My father got one at age 12 in ~1934. We lost that family heirloom when the cops took if from out teeny bopper sister in the 60s.

I know I'm late to this, but have you tried Jack First? Also, believe it or not, if you are seriously hitting ebay every week you can find some pretty esoteric gun parts.

Back