What's new
What's new

Jackie S Chambering a rifle archive

Mram10

Cast Iron
I don’t know him personally, however, this seems like a great write up to review and take something from. A couple tid bits I took from it were the pre drilling and boring bar methods he used along with the flat crown. Hope this helps someone out.

Jackie chambering a Barrel (Pictures)

Note: he is a high level benchrest type, not just another gun plumber like me :)

Good read. The pictures didn't come up for me. Reading through, there were some different methods. Some of those are helpful as I have a Monarch 10EE. So, I won't be able to use a spider at the muzzle end. Radiusing the ID of a centering bushing, so the barrel is not 'bent', I something I had not thought of.

Radius the OUTSIDE. Make it a ball in a tube.

Radiusing the inside, theoretically, doesn't create a non constrained condition. Sure, a tiny bit of clearance lets it float somewhat, but it's not 'correct'.

I looked into trying this with a Monarch EE. Spindle bore had a decent finish, but was otherwise a piece of trash in terms of runout. And being roughly a 1/4 mile long, wasn't something easily 'fixable'.

The 'Old Man' suggested some wood wedges to eyeball it in. I wound up flipping it around a couple times between a center and collets to finish it up.

And then switched to an easier lathe in terms of setup.

Gotta say though, there's nothing so sweet as the friction feed clutches on the old Monarchs.

Thanks for the input. I'll see if I can check the runout of the spindle bore. I am thinking of a spherical bushing and then turn some Delrin for the OD and ID.

i have been chambering with jackies method since day one.
i am doing a 338 edge with an coal of over 4".
i just checked the chamber runout today,
i can see the needle wiggle, but not "move"
it appears to be .0001 or so

Back