What's new
What's new

jonnonow

OK I had to do some scronching and squitching to make all this work and I will post the text separately here. The forum software reforms the JPGs and makes them to small to read. Sorry, not me it's the software saving storage space.

BSA Martini Cadet *** 14 TPI 60 degree V thread. The Martini can be a real pain in the ass to barrel if certain steps are not followed. The barrel extension and threads must first be cut and threads must be to a class 4 fit. The .650 inch ring on the face is important as it will later be used to find center. It does not have to be .650 but a ring should be there.
After figure A is complete the barrel must be screwed on to the receiver tightly with an action wrench and the threads worked several times to remove all crush otherwise the barrel will screw over center when you are taking it on and off to final fit the extractor. YOU WILL FORGET THIS STEP ONCE IN YOUR LIFE! Witness mark the barrel and receiver at this point. With the barrel in a vise level the receiver and then clamp a machinist clamp on the barrel and level the clamp to the side of the receiver. This will allow you to level the barrel to make the extractor cut.
.Proceed to figure B and level and square the barrel in the mill vice and slab off to establish the 90 degree cut for the top of the extractor. This cut is approximately .020 inch below center. I use a woodruff key cutter but the barrel can be inverted and the cut made with an endmill.
Finally, figure C, reposition and level the barrel in the vise to 12 degrees and slab off the rest of the extractor cut with a woodruff cutter or endmill.
Screw the barrel back on to the receiver and check for extractor fit with layout fluid and file if necessary. File the barrel, NOT THE EXTRACTOR! You can set the barrel back if you screw up but finding a new extractor is next to impossible and they are a bitch to make. You will make that mistake JUST ONCE in your life as well.
. Do not bother to try to cut the chamber and extractor at the same time by clamping the two together. The extractors can be quite tough and can destroy the reamer, or push the reamer up and create an egg shaped chamber. Final fit the extractor to the chamber with a soft stone or what ever you are comfortable with.
These measurements are approximate and only actual measurements taken from the action to be barreled should ever be used. No two Martinis are alike.

Rod Henrickson BSA Martini Cadet.jpg

There is an excellent chance that a moderator will take extreme objection to your less-than-descriptive title.

Edit your post
Go Advanced
I suggest "22 hornet on a bsa martini cadet action" as an appropriate title.

Martini Cadet Extractors

"finding a new extractor is next to impossible and they are a bitch to make"

Very helpful article Speerchucker!

Right, I had a dozen Cadet extractors made on a CNC mill with a "generic" bar across the top. They are cut to bore centerline with a little extra height to allow hand fitting. I measure the back angle to 10 deg not 12. The top edge is 90 degrees to the leg so you can cut the extractor cuts in one setup not two. If you want the top edge to be parallel to the bore, you will need to shave it at 10 degrees when you do your cartridge cuts and this should put the cut right on bore centerline. They will oil harden and should also be tempered to light blue.

And while on the subject, ditto the Greener (large) Martini extractors .. I made 25 of them as they are even more difficult to find. These will not fit the similar (mil) Martini Henry or Enfield Martinis. They are for the Greener GP or EG guns (that were originally shotguns for the most part but they are a bit longer than the mil version so you can use them for 3" straight case calibers up to the 577. They will not work with 3 1/4" straight cases but should with bottleneck cases. Always make a barrel stub and test your ctg fit before cutting a barrel. The Greener action is a good choice for those large rimmed British rifle cartridges.

If anyone needs either email me (PMs may get answered with a lengthy delay).

He got sick of the know it alls on the forums that go against real experience. Can’t blame him. I’m sure you understand that very well Butch....

He got sick of the know it alls on the forums that go against real experience. Can’t blame him. I’m sure you understand that very well Butch....

Or he became embarrassed that he got called out on his lack of knowledge on couple topics. I’m sure you understand that very well Mram.... At any rate he is welcome back any time he chooses.

Back