lathe for gunsmith question??
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

found a southbend 13X30 but was wondering if this was enough distance between centers to do rifle barrels?? Threading chambering ect..

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

what is the spindle bore diameter? You are limited to doing about 28 inch barrel if you put it between centers. for turning tapers

[This message has been edited by Schulze (edited 09-14-2003).]

John Ricks Guest

Think carefully before buying a lathe for gunsmithing. Sort of depends on your long term objectives: My recommendation is a minimum 40 inch centers. Even with a large spindle bore, there are times when you must turn the barrel between centers, or chuck the muzzle and use a steady. 30 inches is not enough room for a 24 inch barrel, muzzle chucked, a floating reamer holder, and the reamer, with enough room left over for withdrawing the reamer without winding the tailstock handwheel. (Once you chamber a few barrels, you will appreciate this last statement). And, sometimes you have to chuck a barreled action, see the photos on the link below to one of the pages on my web site: One of the photos shows a barreled action chucked up, with the muzzle being ground for a barrel band type sight installation. http://home.earthlink.net/~rifles/id1.html

I have a 9x24, a 13x36 and a 13x40 lathe. At times I need more room for long barrels (such as a 36 inch 50 BMG) and use a friend's 16x96. And, if you get into some of the large diameter barrels for long range rifles, they will not fit through a spindle bore of the common 13 and 14 inch import lathes.