What's new
What's new

Lathe lead screw not turning.

Ranb

Aluminum
I have a new Shop Fox M1112 lathe that I'm breaking in. I can't get the lead screw to turn at all. The feed rod lever does not move into position to engage the lead screw as far as I can tell. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Ranb

That did it; obvious solution now that I know. It seems the manual just assumes that a person already knows how to operate this model of lathe. :) Thanks for the help.

can you turn the lead screw by hand ? is there a shear pin on the lead screw ?

The only thing that refers to a lead screw not functioning correctly is a failure of the carriage to move; shear pin sheared. https://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/m1112_m.pdf

Anyway I'm getting used to the machine after several hours of use. It is much tighter but more complicated than the G9729 I used to own.

There are a few things that could be better. The coolant flex tubing is too short. When feeding at an angle using the compound rest the coolant stream does not stay with the bit as it cuts; another coolant tube mounted on the compound rest is required or at least longer tubing on the existing one that I can fasten to the rest and make it follow. Turning at more than 220 rpm flings the coolant off of the work; I need to make a transparent shield for it.

I have a Clausing Colchester with low hours on it and had a similar problem. The gear selector was not pushing the gear into engagement, there was what felt like a false detent that tricked you into thinking it was engaged. The more we use it, the easier it engages.

Back