What's new
What's new

Looking for 7/32 x 28 BSF split die

ohland

Plastic
Long time no post. My 11x26 lathe is quite literally in pieces.... Has been for almost 3 years...

To be terse: Is there a UK or Euro maker of 7/32 x 28 BSF split dies that made a decent Carbon Steel [or heavens forbid, HSS] split die? Also, one that doesn't want to send it via DHL?

Anyways, I've been re-assembling an original 1885 Low Wall before squirrel season. Everything is there, EXCEPT a rear sight. I have a period Marble's Flexible Tang sight, WS1, ready to go. Only thing lacking is the upper tang screw of the correct length AND thread.

There is a small inset in the book "The Winchester Single-Shot", Vol II. It dates to maybe 1900? or 1919? and it lists the mounting screw types used to mount the Marble's flexible sight. The interesting thing is the threads vary between a "V" 12-28 and a Whitworth ".208 x 28". Closest actual Whitworth screw is the 7/32 x 28 BSF.

Marble's customer service sent me two 12-28. They thread with effort into the lower tang, the flanks of the screw threads are "wiped" [60 degree thread in 55 degree hole], but the thread spacing looks to be 28 TPI. The original upper tang screw thread OD is .204, it threads happily into a Brownell's thread checker. The replacement 12-28 also threads into the 12-28 position easily as well.

Another owner of an original 1885 used a 12-28, and the thread form was distorted like mine. With enough moxie, it works.

:willy_nilly:

Put some moly wheel bearing grease on the threads and turn it in. It's not like you will be removing and replacing the sight frequently. It will be 55° after you are finished.

Back