What's new
What's new

looking for a gunsmith to rebarrel my carcano

Rick459

Plastic
i have a carcano reciever with no barrel and just ordered a unthreaded and unchambered 6.5 barrel from E.R. Shaw. i have a 6.5 carcano chamber reamer and GO headspace gauage purchased from PTG. need to find a gunsmith who can chamber and thread the barrel to fit my carcano reciever. any help would be appreciated.
Rick

I hope you have a good reason for this project, as it will be expensive, and produce little returns for your investments of time and money.

I hope you have a good reason for this project, as it will be expensive, and produce little returns for your investments of time and money.

I need another bang stick about as urgently as a bad skin rash, but an M1A1 in 6.5 Creedmore is prolly cheaper. And then you have sumthin'.

Or a used turnbolt in .270 Win, ready to go make holes with? Or easily 20 others, reasy to go.

on E.R. Shaw web site they will not work on the carcano and other recievers. as for my reason's, i am not asking any one's permission to do this project. if you don't like carcano's fine, keep it to yourself, i asked for a gunsmith that will do this for me. if i had a big enough lathe i would do it myself. i asked for help and all i get is it will cost a lot.....at 73 i have done more than most and less than some...i'm not asking how much it would cost i'm asking for a capable gunsmith....if you can not help with that question then don't post. what's wrong with you people. it look's like this is the wrong place to ask for help...

Don't let them get to you, this site is full of opinionated old Fudds, and they're mostly grumpy from being locked up for so long, but you won't find another repository of manufacturing knowledge and experience half this size anywhere.

on E.R. Shaw web site they will not work on the carcano and other recievers. as for my reason's, i am not asking any one's permission to do this project. if you don't like carcano's fine, keep it to yourself, i asked for a gunsmith that will do this for me. if i had a big enough lathe i would do it myself. i asked for help and all i get is it will cost a lot.....at 73 i have done more than most and less than some...i'm not asking how much it would cost i'm asking for a capable gunsmith....if you can not help with that question then don't post. what's wrong with you people. it look's like this is the wrong place to ask for help...

If your 73 and been around you certainly should have anticipated the response regarding rebarreling a Carcano rifle....so how smart are you?

Why not start by posting on some mil-surp or bolt gun forum? Or better yet get a drawing of the thread form and and approach the it as a threading job and leave the Carcano part out of the request.

Anyway....try google "rebarrelling a Carcano" been discussed on PM more than once or go to castboolits.gunloads.com (yeah boolits)

I'm not 73 and I prefer Marriot properties when away from home. When I need to outsource something I start local and move outward until I find what I'm seeking. It's probably illegal in your locale to say Carcano, let alone work on one, but I'll go out on a limb for your sake. I have a feeling there are plenty of shops local to you that would welcome the work if they haven't been put out of business with your lock-downs. If they are turning you away, maybe an attitude adjustment on your part might help?

I can understand you being butthurt because of your situation and environment, but throwing an electronic temper tantrum won't help you get your way on the internet. I would direct you to a few shops local to me that do great work, but I don't want to give you the impression that maybe I like you and that you should relocate here to escape your environment. South Dakota's full, we don't want you or any more like you. :cheers:

When I need to outsource something I start local and move outward until I find what I'm seeking. It's probably illegal in your locale to say Carcano, let alone work on one, but I'll go out on a limb for your sake. I have a feeling there are plenty of shops local to you that would welcome the work if they haven't been put out of business with your lock-downs.

This is good advice. This forum is not really a place that practicing gunsmiths come to looking for work, and with the legal situation the way it is, a non-professional is not going to be doing work for other than himself.

My intentions are not to discourage you from a unique project, but as a gunsmith of 50 years I have found it very useful to let people know if their proposed project is going to be expensive. Generally that is helpful.
There is a guy on ebay that will thread barrels...

Barrel Threading | eBay

If that doesn't work out, consider enrolling in a Machine Shop class at one of the local tech schools or universities.
As a Senior, you may qualify for reduced or free tuition - especially if it is not for credits.
Many instructors will be glad to help with special projects, and they should have large lathes.
And by all means, keep a notebook so that you can help the next person that wants to follow your example.
Then share some photos of your progress with us.
Good Luck.

standardparts and don. i came here asking for help but instead get lectures from you 2. the both of you have no manners. as for but hurt i don't think so. i asked in a nice manner for help and get insulted by you 2 calling me but hurt and stupid real classy. and don with people like you in SD why in the world would i want to go there. so much for people telling me go to PM they will help you there. you 2 proved that statement wrong.

We had a knowledgeable gunsmith here on the forum, but he got tired of trying to shed light on the differences between machine work and gun smithing.

standardparts and don. i came here asking for help but instead get lectures from you 2. the both of you have no manners. as for but hurt i don't think so. i asked in a nice manner for help and get insulted by you 2 calling me but hurt and stupid real classy. and don with people like you in SD why in the world would i want to go there. so much for people telling me go to PM they will help you there. you 2 proved that statement wrong.

Your kidding...you got advice where to look and maybe you decided not to do the legwork. The Ebay link most definitely got bookmarked. Anyway....have fun with your project!

We had a knowledgeable gunsmith here on the forum, but he got tired of trying to shed light on the differences between machine work and gun smithing.

Actually some of his posts were epic gunsmithing tutorials! One long thread on barrel removal and installs and others regarding using HSS for barrel work. Great stuff.

A friend asked Shaw about barreling a Norwegian Krag, and they said they couldn't cut a left hand thread. 'Csn you cut a left hand thread?' Sure. 'How would you do that?' Run the lathe backwards. 'Is that all it takes?' Pretty much, yeah.

Point being, most of the companies that make barrels and put them on are going to be unwilling to spend the time doing oddball stuff like this. Like you've already discovered. And that likely goes for the average gunsmith. Too much trouble for what little money it's really worth.

So you're likely on your own here.

I like oddball stuff, but with the seemingly worldwide confusion as to what a Carcano barrel thread actually is, I wouldn't make any offer to do it either. For no other reason than I dont know if I can cut the proper pitch or not.

No confusion ,its 1 1/16 x 1.8mm lead .....which is very close to 3/4"NPTF......the Jap 38 used a very close thread too,and as I mentioned ,PNG natives screw a water pipe into the thread to make a "Raskol gun"

Last edited:

I'm not gunsmith but I can claim to be an electromechanical professional. On the VFDs and transformer forum, where I am more active, we continually get questions like "I have a 5 axis CNC mill with a 30 hp motor and the nearest 480 three phase is 15 miles away and the power company wants $100,000 a mile to run it here. Can I get a converter box that will supply the power I need from a 100 amp single phase service?" Some of the people on there are real experts in their niche and keep answering the same questions over and over when they would really prefer to come back with a smartass answer. Before you get upset about some of these pros questioning the wisdom of a project, try walking in their shoes a bit.

Bill

Back