Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the face that he has put out moneys to buy a barrel reamers and gauges goes to show that he is serious about his project but to some of you snobs on here because its not a pre war model 70 Winchester let alone a pre 64 model 70 who in there right mind would want to do such a thing . who cares what you would do or not do he is not asking for your input about it he just want to know who has the ability to do it and most likely can or will do it. now i have put more than a few sks barrels on carcanos i have done it two ways cutting off the old barrel and keeping the stub as a bushing boring it out and threading it to .750 x 20 tpi and using a jam nut to set head space like on a savage bolt gun i have also made my own bushings [ we are machinist after all and its just a threading job ]and you can look in dehass book for the threads and guess what there not English there metric something like 27 x 1.5 or 1.75 [its been some years]my dad was a real gunsmith not some tinker toy parts changer if the man wants to spend his money and you can do the job take his money now true for every one like him that is real there are a hundred tit pulling tire kickers out there

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    I'm not gunsmith but I can claim to be an electromechanical professional. On the VFDs and transformer forum, where I am more active, we continually get questions like "I have a 5 axis CNC mill with a 30 hp motor and the nearest 480 three phase is 15 miles away and the power company wants $100,000 a mile to run it here. Can I get a converter box that will supply the power I need from a 100 amp single phase service?" Some of the people on there are real experts in their niche and keep answering the same questions over and over when they would really prefer to come back with a smartass answer. Before you get upset about some of these pros questioning the wisdom of a project, try walking in their shoes a bit.

Bill
    like the ol gear head thing goes speed cost money how fast do you want to go ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jap 38 *IS* 14 TPI. I set one back not long ago to fix a severely over headspace 6.5-308 rechamber. The front sight was a bigger problem than the thread.

The 'near fit thread', thread below this is regarding a Carcano. It's a ???????

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK ,I have gone back thru my old stuff,cockroach nests and silverfish.....not to mention some kind of bities....,and confirm the Carcano tenon thread is 1.8mm lead.

5. Likes mickri liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

so all in all unless you can cut 1.8 mm pitch 1.75 is about as good as its going to get as your looking at arox 5 to 6 threads and like most things your doing a one off your going to machine tell it fits more then likely tool bit will be 60 deg. not 55 and with out an optic competitor whos to say what you end up with not to say the wear or accuracy of the lathe cut a few teat parts and get on with it as if you think about it to long you will think of all the reasons it won't work what would browning or edison do ? well first off they would do some thing

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There are any number of computer programs to calculate gearing combinations required to produce a certain lead....and also to achieve an approximation using whatever gears you have available......For anyone with a metric leadscrew lathe,1.8mm lead is childsplay.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have cut a metric thread by turning the compound parallel to the spindle and calculating the error with the nearest English one, then turning 1/2 turn by hand, setting the compound to compensate, then turning another half turn, etc. Of course, that would only be correct for two points each turn. It was a low stressed part. I don't know if it would shoot loose on a rifle.

Bill
    Last edited by 9100; 02-18-2021 at 08:48 PM.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

About 30 years ago,say 1991,...just yesterday.....you could buy a carcano carbine with a poor bore for about $40 here......and they were used for a cheap gun to shoot the Chinese surplus 7.62x39 ammo that sold for around $20/100.....to make a cheap conversion,you get a 303 barrel(new then for $25) ,cut off the tenon threads,rethread to 27x1.8,and screw in the barrel......the front part of the 303 chamber is the same as the AK round,so no chamber reamer is needed......the clever part ,is you headspace with a loaded round ,and set the thread with loctite....and you have a cheap rifle with a new barrel to fire the cheap 7.62 ammo......which fits the Italian clip OK......A lot of the rifle ranges had these conversions as hire out rifles ...$20/hr,and Chinese ammo at $20 for a box of 25 .

10. Likes 1yesca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some times there isn’t enough money to over come the pain in the ass factor,
    And the learning curve.

Come up with a threaded barrel stub and you might find a taker

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I once traded a Jap Type 38 in 225 Winchester..heaps of work done ,set trigger,spooned bolt handle ,nice blue ...the stock was a hideous cut down on the 2 piece military stock,.....but the big attraction was a steel tube Karl Kahles scope in QD mounts....I took the scope and mounts off, junked the stock ,and sold the rest for the value of the barrel....A whole lot of work by someone on a junk action.....if done on a 98 Mauser ,it would have had value.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    About 30 years ago,say 1991,...just yesterday.....you could buy a carcano carbine with a poor bore for about $40 here......and they were used for a cheap gun to shoot the Chinese surplus 7.62x39 ammo that sold for around $20/100.....to make a cheap conversion,you get a 303 barrel(new then for $25) ,cut off the tenon threads,rethread to 27x1.8,and screw in the barrel......the front part of the 303 chamber is the same as the AK round,so no chamber reamer is needed......the clever part ,is you headspace with a loaded round ,and set the thread with loctite....and you have a cheap rifle with a new barrel to fire the cheap 7.62 ammo......which fits the Italian clip OK......A lot of the rifle ranges had these conversions as hire out rifles ...$20/hr,and Chinese ammo at $20 for a box of 25 .
    Oh man....Yeah! The glory days of cheap ammo. Here you could get a SKS for $70.00 and a case of Chinese 7.62x39, two spam cans of I think 550 or 600 rounds each for less than $70.00.

Many hours spent out on BLM land blasting away.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I used to make chamber reamers out of a HSS reamer that was going into the scrap after useful scrap length was mad. Anyone with normal skills can make a chambering reamer to .0005 and better.
    Any decent lathe hand can turn a thread to good enough or near-perfect IMHO.

Nice about doing a one-up is you can hand fit a thread.

Yes, I wish I had saved a few hundred of those reamers for going to scrap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Don. View Post
    I'm not 73 and I prefer Marriot properties when away from home. When I need to outsource something I start local and move outward until I find what I'm seeking. It's probably illegal in your locale to say Carcano, let alone work on one, but I'll go out on a limb for your sake. I have a feeling there are plenty of shops local to you that would welcome the work if they haven't been put out of business with your lock-downs. If they are turning you away, maybe an attitude adjustment on your part might help?

I can understand you being butthurt because of your situation and environment, but throwing an electronic temper tantrum won't help you get your way on the internet. I would direct you to a few shops local to me that do great work, but I don't want to give you the impression that maybe I like you and that you should relocate here to escape your environment. South Dakota's full, we don't want you or any more like you.
    Nice rant! Please add your location.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rick,
    Do a search for Larry Racine. He is in New England, is an established experienced smith and does great work. He is one of the few who re-barrels Swiss K31's and he takes on other complex barreling and smithing jobs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You can pm me or call 502-231- one one three