What's new
What's new

Looking to make a Colt SP1 bolt from M16 Anybody got plans/Drawing

truckeic

Plastic
I have a buddy who has an older Colt and wants to have a SP1 style bot in it. I think you could mill down a M16 bolt to SP1 specs right? Is there a drawing or plans that I could import into Fusion to create this bolt?

Thanks

Curious to the advantages or preferences for specifically modifying it to an "SP1" bolt carrier. Simply mill the back end off as required.

The bolts are the same. Are you referring to the carrier? If it’s because you have a transferable lightning link, awesome. If not, I too am curious what advantage you see in the SP1 carrier?

I see you are in the Aland Islands. Is this being done for legal purposes? If not, leave it alone, the m16 carrier is heavier and more reliable. The sp1 carrier was done to prevent people from using lightening links, conversions, etc.

I see you are in the Aland Islands. Is this being done for legal purposes? If not, leave it alone, the m16 carrier is heavier and more reliable. The sp1 carrier was done to prevent people from using lightening links, conversions, etc.

The LL ONLY works with SP1 carriers, not M16 carriers. DIAS works with M16 bolts.

How about that grabcad website or SO!IDWORKS?
Im not a machinist so I,have no idea other than seeing these tossed around on DIY build post.

The bolts are the same. Are you referring to the carrier? If it’s because you have a transferable lightning link, awesome. If not, I too am curious what advantage you see in the SP1 carrier?

He had a SP1 carrier, it is damaged. that said I have tried to mill this for him as a favor. So what do I need a blow torch to get it to cut it?
I have tried Carbide endmills and wont hardly scratch this thing.

So whats the deal?

He had a SP1 carrier, it is damaged. that said I have tried to mill this for him as a favor. So what do I need a blow torch to get it to cut it?
I have tried Carbide endmills and wont hardly scratch this thing.
So whats the deal?

If you've not the experience and knowledge to know ahead of time that the carriers are hardened, then you would be best serving both your buddy and yourself to just purchase an SP1 style carrier. I have not had a reason to look in a very long time, but they used to readily available. If you simply just want a replacement carrier, then just drop the later carrier in and be happy to call it a day.

Back