Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I made both the flat pusher style, and one that rode the tailstock "flat" (faced off dead center)with a ball bearing...

I had a lot of chatter with the ball bearing style, flat pusher worked best for me. I suspect what works "best" depends at least somewhat on the operator.

I work between centers in a steady,using nothing but live pilot reamers with correctly fitted bushings my chambers have no more than .0002-.0003 runout. Works for me...

I just purchased Dave Manson's holder- which is basically a flat pusher style holder; just installed pressure flush and wanted to be able to have the tailstock hold the reamer. I suspect it will deliver the same results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Does it make any difference as to whether its wise to use a floating reamer holder, depending on whether you prebore the chamber with drill and boring bar? The finish reamer will still follow the pre-bored chamber concentrically despite being floating and not having its pilot engaged in the bore? I have to admit I am a little nervous about this aspect having not yet tried the preboring of the chamber method.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have been wandering the same thing! And is the point of preboring to not wear out the reamer so fast? Also do you just use a drill bit or do you have to use a boring bar along with it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One reason to pre-bore, and the reason I want to, is that it gives you an opportunity to align the chamber with the section of bore ahead of the chamber. You align the barrel in the lathe chuck based off measurement you take from that forward span of bore as well. You will then of course machine your tenon and shoulder in correct geometry based on that section of the bore as well. If you just run a chamber reamer through from a faced off breach following the bore, it will follow the bore, which may not be aligned with the bore that will remain ahead of the throat.

The drill bit does the bulk of the work, then a boring bore takes it closer, ensuring that the undersized hole is concentric with the bore. After that, the reamer is supposed to follow the precut bore. But I am wondering if I am better off using a rigid reamer holder off the tail stock to avoid chatter or other problems when I do that. Simply push the reamer with a dead centre.

5. Likes Turner421 liked this post