What's new
What's new

M12-16 ga.- hole drilled/tapped in bb'l (?)

Jerald MI.

Hot Rolled
I previously installed a spacer to install a device to eliminate cross firing on a M12-16 ga, for a guy. I used the front bead thd'd hole to bolt the device down and attached thru'the spacer to the device at the rear, then attached it all using RTV. There was no rib; plain bb'l.

The customer wants the whole assembly lowered by 1/2 to .055 high. The assembly was tight to the thd'd hole but not attached from there back.

My question; Is there any harm in drilling/taping a hole 3" in back of the frt. bead and adding a 4-40 screw, as long as the threads are flush with the bore is sealed?

I ask because this guy had a mid bead installed in another gun and the 'smith drilled thru' the bb'l into the bore. The customer demanded and received a new bb'l from the 'smith (not me!).

I believe that to have been needless as the screw did not extend into the bore and was sealed to allow no gas to escape.

GEDC0106.jpg

Thanks, Jerald

Jerald

I don't see a big problem with that, as long as the screw isn't in the bore. There are lots of rifles that have addl holes in the bore; M1 Garands, M14's etc. Dosen't seem to affect accuracy.

Mike

I would hesitate to work for this guy knowing the treatment the last smith got. I contracted for forty years and when the customer told me about the bad treatment he got from another contractor I dropped him like a hot potato. You don't need the headache. Kenny

I don't see any problem with that, if it is finished cleanly and does not present an obstruction. But, I would inform the customer first, and proceed only if he is OK with it.

I would be more than a bit annoyed myself if I were to receive a gun back from a 'smith with a hole where one did not belong.

Back