What's new
What's new

M1A / M14 barrel vise bushing shape

Grizzlypeg

Aluminum
I've seen and used an M14 barrel vise that followed the flattened contour that is forward of the chamber. I am wondering if it is necessary, or if I can simply make a bushing for my barrel vise that surrounds the perfectly round area surrounding the chamber. Or is that problematic in not getting enough grip on the barrel?

Now that I have a lathe, there's no excuse for excessive torque required to install one. Never know what to expect in removing one though.

I agree. Only time it may be an issue is removing a stubborn barrel that has been there 30 or 40 years. I heat the receiver with a propane torch just too hot to touch , clamp the bushing TIGHT, and rap on the action wrench smartly with a hammer. Much more likely to pop loose without slipping than just pulling on the handle.

I'm grounded. Lathe motor crapped out on me just as I was about to start work with the boring bar. Looks like a good weekend to pick beets or clean up the garage.:bawling:

I bored the bushing to the larger OD, sawed it in half length-wise, taped it to the barrel shank. Then I poured it full of epoxy. Be sure to spray/coat the barrel with a release agent. When it cures, pop it off the barrel and clean it up with the Dremel. Works great, does not mark the barrel. Regards, Clark

The aluminum bushing worked perfectly. With 4 half inch fine thread bolts tightened, the wrench held my weight at the end of a long wrench. Damn those chinese really over tighten those barrels. Must have been over 400 lb-ft to loosen the m14 barrel.

m14sbrake 001.jpg

The handle on my receiver wrench is twice as long as yours. You will find it difficult to make small adjustments when indexing a new barrel with a short handle. Regards, Clark

I have a book which is specificly for the M1 Garand but I believe it also has info on the M14 also. Basicly the same machine with improvements. The book covers operation, breakdown, and includes tools which are need to work on these weapons. It is full of useful info. I will have to look for the book and can give you a name and maybe source if you PM me.

Back