What's new
What's new

Machine a cam path ?

Waterworks

Plastic
What would be the low tech options to machine the cam path in an AR18 bolt carrier, no CNC and for a small home workshop.

First, you have to know what it is supposed to be. Then do it with HNC (Human Numerical Control.) Once you know the starting location and the path, you can calculate consecutive positions and machine them one at a time. Boring as hell but for only one piece, it is doable. Follow up with a file to clean up the remaining high spots.

I would think you could angle the dividing head to the helix angle and only have to make a rotary increment and an X increment.

This is the AR15 cam path, it's not as complex as I thought it was, possibly a jig could be made to bore it with an end mill.

20220117_220135.jpg

Since it moves along some helix .255 in 22.5 degrees of rotation. A full turn would get you 16* times .255 or 4.08. To come up with a helix angle you would need a dia..where the machining in going on

(*there are 16 22.5 degree segments in a full turn)

A what if dia could be .500 and then the helix angle would be 21.056 degrees

Is the AR18 the same? What is the diameter of the hole at the right? It is on the upper drawing but was cut off in the version you posted.

There are straight moves at each end, .070" at the left and .040"(?, it is not dimensioned) at the right. The rest of the path will require rotation of the bolt as well as a straight move. Even though the dimensions are in 5° increments, I would advance only 1° per cut and calculate the moves based on that. I would practice this in a plain piece of round bar before going with a real bolt.

Back